Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkendig

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
My Apple ID (on which I have 2FA) becomes locked frequently due to strangers thinking it's theirs and trying to log in with it.

Used to be, I'd just go to iforgot.apple.com and start the unlock process there, and then it would let me finish the process on my iPhone and my account would be unlocked without me needing to change my password.

But recently (sometime within the last few weeks), the part of the process on my iPhone requires me to change my password. It no longer gives me an option to simply unlock my account. (This happens even after I did change my password earlier in the day and then had my account locked again; my iPhone still won't unlock my account without making me change my password again.)

If I use my Mac computer to unlock my account, that works without making me change my password.

So, I'm curious. When should I be able to unlock my Apple ID without needing to change my password? Is it a bug that my iPhone now requires me to change my password every time? (Changing my Apple ID password several times a week, and having to re-enter it on all my devices, gets old quick.)

Interestingly, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204106 seems to say that I will ALWAYS need to reset my password to unlock my Apple ID. But I know that's not true because I can still unlock it from my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.