Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinitiman96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
In messages, if you're communicating with someone via iMessage (as opposed to regular SMS), you see 3 dots when they're typing, before their message is sent. But when exactly do you see these? Do they have to actually be typing? What if they their cursor is in the box and flashing, but they haven't typed anything? When do the dots disappear?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
In messages, if you're communicating with someone via iMessage (as opposed to regular SMS), you see 3 dots when they're typing, before their message is sent. But when exactly do you see these? Do they have to actually be typing? What if they their cursor is in the box and flashing, but they haven't typed anything? When do the dots disappear?

When they are typing. They can type a letter/word and then erase it and it will show it and then not show it.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

If there is any text in the box it shows. If you accidentally hit the space and leave that space there, they will see the dots. I think it will eventually go away tho.

infinitiman96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
So if there is just a cursor in the text box and no characters have been typed it wont display the typing symbol?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
As long as the text box reads 'iMessage' nothing will show on the other iOS device/Mac. Any other case displays the dots.

Last edited:

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Once a key has been pressed the 3 dots will appear for as long as the person is typing, plus an additional 5-10 seconds, unless the send key has been pressed.

As soon as the text field has been cleared out (entered text and then deleted), I think the 3 dots immediately go away.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
As long as the text box reads 'iMessage' or 'Message' nothing will show on the other iOS device/Mac. Any other case displays the dots.

What do you mean? It's specifically iMessage that shows the typing indicator on the recipient's device. 'Message' indicates an SMS or MMS will be sent (no dots in the recipient's end in that case). Beyond these three there aren't any other protocols the Messages app on iOS supports.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
What do you mean? It's specifically iMessage that shows the typing indicator on the recipient's device. 'Message' indicates an SMS or MMS will be sent (no dots in the recipient's end in that case). Beyond these three there aren't any other protocols the Messages app on iOS supports.

Sorry, my fault! Of course it only happens when using iMessage.
Edited my post.:eek:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Once a key has been pressed the 3 dots will appear for as long as the person is typing, plus an additional 5-10 seconds, unless the send key has been pressed.

As soon as the text field has been cleared out (entered text and then deleted), I think the 3 dots immediately go away.

Correct - just tested this out as I was curious as well. As soon as anything is entered (letter, word, space) the dots appear. When empty, they go away.

dlbs

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
Correct - just tested this out as I was curious as well. As soon as anything is entered (letter, word, space) the dots appear. When empty, they go away.

This is not always the case my friend.

Example:
- ENTER text
- TAP and HOLD on a previously sent message
- TAP on "more"
- SELECT a message and DELETE it (the keyboard should have disappeared)
- the dots are gone - regardless if you place the cursor in the text box with text in it :)

tested on MBP using messages.app and iphone6s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.