Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I have been running out of room on my current external hard drive (i put all my photos from my sony camera onto it) so I tried to use one of my older hard drive to back up my latest SD card. However, when i plugged in one of my older hard drives that still have space on it., it shows the Time Machine icon next to the hard drive icon. Is there a way to shut that off it just is a regular hard drive?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
That means that TM is configured on any of the partitions or APFS volumes. You can always reassign the "normal" drive icon by just hitting Cmd + I, selecting the drive icon, and hitting backspace (delete) on your keyboard to revert it!

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I have been running out of room on my current external hard drive (i put all my photos from my sony camera onto it) so I tried to use one of my older hard drive to back up my latest SD card. However, when i plugged in one of my older hard drives that still have space on it., it shows the Time Machine icon next to the hard drive icon. Is there a way to shut that off it just is a regular hard drive?
Remove the HD from the Time Machine System Settings. Erase the drive, then start using it as a normal HD. Of course, if all you want to do is change the icon, do as @rm5 instructed above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.