Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starrin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
When Tiger comes out -- and then on that exact day I run to the store and buy it....since it does not come with iPhoto, iDVD, all the iLife stuff -- how do I get it into my brand new Tiger install --- it came with my powerbook...all I have is the install disk for Panther.

thx.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Your restore disc should have panther AND all of the iLife apps available for seperate installation.

Rob

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Upgrading is never a good idea, so I don't recommend it.

Use Pacifier (or something like it) to extract the installers for the individual programs off the restore discs.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Raven VII said:
Upgrading is never a good idea, so I don't recommend it.

Use Pacifier (or something like it) to extract the installers for the individual programs off the restore discs.

Why not? Does it corrupt files or something?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...you could use the "archive and install" option, which can leave your apps and user accounts/directories intact. Basically, it renames your old system folder to "previous system folder" and installs a new one. *Most* applications work just fine after this kind of install....a few may require re-installation if they placed files in the system folder(s), or you can just copy the files you need from the previous system folder.....oh yeah!

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...you could use the "archive and install" option, which can leave your apps and user accounts/directories intact. Basically, it renames your old system folder to "previous system folder" and installs a new one. *Most* applications work just fine after this kind of install....a few may require re-installation if they placed files in the system folder(s), or you can just copy the files you need from the previous system folder.....oh yeah!

But wouldn't it be best to start with a fresh install considering Tiger DOES have to index everything for spotlight.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
I'm sure Apple will have considered this. My guess is that there will be a provision made in the installation to account for our bundled iLife apps.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Duff-Man said:

Thanks Duff.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Doing an upgrade is fine, its a huge myth that is causes problems. I've done it since 10.1 and its been fine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.