Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
ZZ0F208B95.jpg

Good riddance to a terrible service. Honestly, how can Apple justify £59.00 per year for this nonsense?

The service is advertised with the promise of "Exchange for the rest of us" but from my two days testing it there was nothing of the sort. The promised "Push" for my data did not happen in any direction between any of my devices.

For example, one would expect that by "Push contacts" Apple meant that as soon as you updated a contact's card or added a new one on your Mac it would send it up to Mobile Me and to your other computers and phone. The "Automatic" syncing option in the MobileMe area of System Preferences seemed only to perform periodic syncs which were in no way influenced by my activity on the computer. When I changed a contact's card it didn't reflect instantly on my iPhone and before I cancelled my account I was still waiting for an update to my contacts to be delivered to my iPhone to reflect changes I made on the computer (and manually synced) three hours prior.

Email was no better. I could send an email from my Gmail account to my Me.com address and not see it spring up on either my computer or my phone unless I did a hard refresh. iPhoto didn't manage to connect to what it thought was still .Mac, so there went my chance of trying out the web galleries feature.

It became apparent that Apple's definition of "Push" is merely more frequent refreshes of data, and to me this isn't doing any better than Gmail. The web apps were slow and buggy on my 2.4GHz iMac and Safari would hang when I moved contacts between groups on the Contacts application online.

Things which I did like were the syncing of my Keychain, Dock and System Preferences, but unfortunately if you chose a nonstandard desktop wallpaper it wouldn't transfer that to your other computer. These last features are promising and there really is no reason why they couldn't allow people to sync that data via FTP to their own webspace, but I guess they would lose out on revenue then.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I just set it up and am a complete novice at using all these related applications.

I just checked and I made a change on iCal on my Macbook and next time I checked my phone the change was there on my phone.

I think it is pretty cool from the limited use I have had with it. Was a bit frustrating to get set up as the directions were not clear t me in some cases, and I needed to download the latest software to make it work, which is not publically available right now it seems.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your problems, but it does seem to be working for me fairly well.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I'm guessing that the service is just not working correctly yet. For me, it's worth it as an extension of the older .Mac. And I bought a dot mac family pack off ebay last week for fifty quid - quite a saving on the £99 .Mac price, or the £89 MobileMe price - you don't have to buy directly from Apple.
Now all my family has idisks, webgalleries from their iphotos, and @mac (and @me) email addresses.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Welcome to day. Fricking. One.

Have fun while the rest of us hang in there for Apple's servers to come back up. Did you even get the update? 1.1 is out already.

I got it the moment it was available. When I updated some info on my computer there was no indication that it was even trying to send it out to the servers.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
By the way being the neophyte that I am with these particular set ups..

I went and just sent myself an e-mail to my .me mail account.

My iPhone beeped I had new mail within a second or so of me sending it.

FetalSage

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
It's only been up for a day, and they're having issues. So you're leaving because of that? Wow...

Reaperducer

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
ZZ0F208B95.jpg

Good riddance to a terrible service. Honestly, how can Apple justify £59.00 per year for this nonsense?

The service is advertised with the promise of "Exchange for the rest of us" but from my two days testing it there was nothing of the sort.
You've spent the last two days testing something that hasn't been officially released yet? And you're making financial decisions based on that?

Whaaaahahahahahahaha! Can't. Stop. Laughing.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Technically it just launched this morning....not 2 days ago.

Why not give a HUGE service like this a few days to work. Its going to be full push shortly.

BTW...Perfect Dark sucks.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
By the way being the neophyte that I am with these particular set ups..

I went and just sent myself an e-mail to my .me mail account.

My iPhone beeped I had new mail within a second or so of me sending it.

I just sent an email from my Gmail to my .mac address and I count 4 seconds from when i hit send to when i heard my phone alert.

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
nice to see you gave it a through and frank test did you really expect it to work as advertised when half the world has been trying to use it you get 60 days free trial i suggest you use them all as it is a really great product im already impressed watching my contacts and calendar update plus push email is nice

carpets

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Warwickshire, UK.
Yeah, we are all having problems, but hey, Apple have got a lot on their plates at the moment! Just take a look at the press and internet news sites!

I personally have been wanting this functionality for a couple of years now, I think I can wait a few days more for what I hope will be a great new way to use my macs and iPhone.

;)

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Well...

I LOVE MOBILEME

What excellent value for money! Now all my contacts, calendars, bookmarks and emails are push-sync'd to/from my iPhone over the air. It boggles the mind to see it in action. Wow.

Exchange for the rest of us? Surely this is better than exchange. Or Blackberry, for that matter! This is seriously cool, and seriously useful for me!

Applespider

macrumors G4
You did remember to go in and set the Push settings for Contacts/Calendar and Bookmarks on your phone? The Mail one is set up already but the others you have to turn on in the Settings.

Just a thought since I hadn't realised that initially and wondered why the new iCal things weren't pinging through.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Well, I have it all set up - syncing to my iPod Touch, no less - and it works great. I sent an email to myself and my iPod Touch beeps a new message notification seconds after receiving it. I had to figure out most of the setup for myself, but it wasn't exactly difficult.

cas-t-away

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
e-mail push

Not even 4 seconds to my iPod touch. Almost instant. Push for iCal seems not working at that speed this moment I guess that that part will become fully active per Running Change in coming hours. I thought push mail would also work for other not .me address via that same account?
I just sent an email from my Gmail to my .mac address and I count 4 seconds from when i hit send to when i heard my phone alert.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
Considering you don't get refunded for the subscription time you don't use, this was a pretty stupid move. The launch has been a disaster, yes, but it's the launch, and if you think that this is what it's going to be for the rest of its service life you need to have your head examined.

Let the friggin' thing get completely setup, fixed, and working. The push functions are working like a charm with me, as are all of the web apps except webmail. It's not like you're being constantly billed for this. You already paid for it. Way to be impatient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.