Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
T2 Linux is great. When macOS support ends use T2 Linux. I would say Windows 11 but MS has that TPM bull and I DON't trust Big Tech.

Open source is the way to go. WE have the control.

Anyway, when Intel support is dead. Use this link for supported Linux on 7,1. You need T2 version of Linux because the 7,1 has a T2 chip which is not open and is a black box. But the Linux commumity wrote drivers for it and now we can access Linux on it.

This will make sure the 7,1 will be getting security updates and is safe to use forever. w

AMD cards will work on Linux and so do RTX cards.

To the last Intel Mac Pro,

Reactions: uller6

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
They're using .webp images with no png or jpeg fallback (which is the specified best practices usage)... doesn't exactly engender the highest confidence in the quality of their work. :/

1660363240535.png

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
They're using .webp images with no png or jpeg fallback (which is the specified best practices usage)... doesn't exactly engender the highest confidence in the quality of their work. :/

View attachment 2042386
well thankfully, their work on porting Linux to a T2 Mac is very good. It's a very active community as well.

Give it a try on a seperate partition if you want. It's pretty good. I've been using EndeavourOS which is an arch based distro. I get higher perf than in Windows/macOS.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
well thankfully, their work on porting Linux to a T2 Mac is very good. It's a very active community as well.

Heh, not the best sign for a "protecting legacy systems" group though ;)

Give it a try on a seperate partition if you want. It's pretty good. I've been using EndeavourOS which is an arch based distro. I get higher perf than in Windows/macOS.

So is it something that can be combined with any other x64 Linux or is it only certain distros?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

Endeavor OS is my preferred Linux distro. Works great on my MBP 11,4.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
So is it something that can be combined with any other x64 Linux or is it only certain distros?
T2 Linux supports Ubuntu, Fedora, EndeavourOS, Arch and Manjaro. So these contain T2 drivers so we can boot Linux without any wifi, keyboard/mouse issues.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
T2 Linux supports Ubuntu, Fedora, EndeavourOS, Arch and Manjaro. So these contain T2 drivers so we can boot Linux without any wifi, keyboard/mouse issues.

So it's a thing that's added to an existing Linux distro, rather than being a specific distro itself? Would that automatically flow on to Ubuntu variants, like Elementary etc?

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Would that automatically flow on to Ubuntu variants, like Elementary etc?
yes but you would have to complile yourself for smaller distros like Elementary but popular distros like Ubuntu, fedora are supported with a complied linux t2 iso.

Reactions: prefuse07

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
It’s a website full of resources for getting linux to run on T2 macs. Most distros will require some level of post-installation fiddling to get various things working, ie loading drivers etc. There used to be a custom rolled ubuntu iso out there somewhere. I actually tried to make one (custom distro) but couldn’t get it to work.

Reactions: prefuse07

Oval

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
I've installed T2 Ubuntu 22.10.
WiFi ok but no luck with Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.