Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
It's at 88% health and I will have owned it for 6 years this December. The manufacturing date was December 13, 2012.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It's at 88% health and I will have owned it for 6 years this December. The manufacturing date was December 13, 2012.

Do it ASAP if you still can. If Apple considers it a Vintage product you may no longer be able to get an OEM battery for it.

“Vintage products are those that have not been manufactured for more than 5 and less than 7 years ago.”

After that, batteries may be hard to find even through independent repair shops.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If you can use a screwdriver, it's SUPER easy to do yourself if you don't have a retina model.

See if this seller has any available, I bought my replacement from them, it's an actual Apple-manufactured battery and is reporting good health so far - omg_1971 on eBay The battery even came with the tools needed.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I am not sure if this is helpful or not.....
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.08.12 PM.png

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
According to ifixit, at least some of the 2012 models are rated as "easy" battery replacement. This will probably mean that aftermarket products will be available. That said, it's hard to know whether age or usage will kill your battery. But that's a relatively low cycle count. If it will go a few hours on a charge, that's probably a good indication it's in good shape.

- I see Safari using lots of energy. Try to see if it's an offending site that's using CPU/energy. Activity Monitor can help. I use something called Turbo Boost Switcher to turn off turbo boost, which, for whatever reason, seems to help battery life while casually web surfing...

Later models (such as my late 2013 15-MBP - much harder. I've made a note to get Apple to replace the battery next year.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Going through Apple is the only way to get an OEM battery.

The eBay ones are original batteries that have been pulled apart and repacked, or even worse, 6 year old batteries that have had the onboard chips wiped so the machine thinks they're new, but they're actually used.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Going through Apple is the only way to get an OEM batte
In our family, we've had 10 or so Mac laptops over the past 10 years, and I probably "consult" on them another 5-6 families. In my experience, replacement batteries have had mixed results, both from Apple and from various 3rd parties. I've had 3rd party batteries last from 90 days to 3+ years (still going). I've had replacement Apple batteries last from 18 months to 2+ years (still going). YMMV.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
This is my 5th 2011/2012 generation 15" MBP, took me 4 or 5 absolutely junk aftermarket batteries before I bit the bullet and just admitted that I need to pay Apple prices for one - Which was hard for me, the reason i've stuck with 2011/2012's for so long is due to the fact the later ones cannot be upgraded easily, and I refuse to pay ridiculous Apple pricing for storage and memory.

Reactions: SDColorado

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it's still replaceable at the Apple Store using a an Apple-original battery, might be worth paying the $200 to get it done.

The reason you want to get it FROM APPLE is because you will get a battery that is either identical or close to the factory battery.

Aftermarket batteries can vary wildly in quality -- it's a total crapshoot.

Having said all this, 88% really isn't bad for a battery that is now almost 6 years old.

My sister has a 2010 white MacBook with the factory battery still installed, still working "well enough".

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Going through Apple is the only way to get an OEM battery.

The eBay ones are original batteries that have been pulled apart and repacked, or even worse, 6 year old batteries that have had the onboard chips wiped so the machine thinks they're new, but they're actually used.

If you use programs such as Coconut Battery (or Apple's own system information tool), you know that there is no way to "wipe" the onboard chips. Even if you could, it would measure the capacity again within 1-2 charge cycles, and would report a low capacity in mAh (which is converted to a "Health" rating in macOS and in Coconut Battery). I've bought eBay batteries that are "genuine" but report manufacturers that Apple uses and have had no issues whatsoever. The people who use those computers have not complained once about the batteries. No swelling, good battery life, etc. Yea, they probably aren't quite as good as a genuine Apple battery, but they aren't the boogieman that so many people in the Apple community make them out to be.

Want to know my secret? I only buy batteries that have 100% PRODUCT feedback on eBay, from sellers with at least 98% feedback.

If you have lots of money and don't mind being without your Macbook for up to 2 weeks, take it to Apple. I take my Apple stuff for certain things and fix them myself for other things. It depends on what makes the most financial sense, warranty/AppleCare status, etc. But the mentality that Apple is the best place to take your Macbook is not always true, and is used as an excuse to justify Apple's anti-repair practices.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
SDColorado explained Vintage - if it's a 15", it will be vintage "Any Day Now" as that one was last sold in October, 2013. If it's a 13" you have plenty of time, it was sold until October 2016 so won't be Vintage for another 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.