Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
1617860871743.jpeg
Will.i.am is making a $300 smart mask ?

It seems to just be a hepa filter mask with built in fans (not sure why), decorative lights, and the smart aspect is just built in bluetooth noise cancelling earphones and microphone. And I think it straps all the way around the back of the head.
I don’t think this solves anything but it looks kinda cool like from a sci-fi movie lol.
Would you buy something like this from Apple? ?

If masks were here to stay, I could see Apple eventually doing something like incorporating AR glasses into a mask like this (probably minus the lights and fans). It would afford the glasses a much bigger battery.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe they’ll take it a step further and just make a motorcycle helmet with gadgets all around.

Reactions: subjonas

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I bought two “smart” masks on Amazon, and frankly they are pretty much total junk currently. The first one wouldn’t even fasten to stay on my face at all, and the second one was also very weighty and kept sagging downward.

Reactions: stylinexpat

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Facebook has Oculus VR.
Google has Google Cardboard.
Playstation has PlayStation VR.
Microsoft has HoloLens.

Without knowing Apple’s plan, it’s difficult to say, in contrast to MP3 or JPEG on macOS, Windows, and Linux, how VR will evolve.

If Apple chooses AR, then it’s not VR.

If Apple chooses VR, then the question sort of hints towards the revival of 3D movies that sort of faded away on Blu-Ray 3D.

And I think the industry is expecting some kind of iTunes for VR, which Oculus is attempting but has yet to make the acquisition of VR movies something more akin to Amazon.com

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Facebook has Oculus VR.
Google has Google Cardboard.
Playstation has PlayStation VR.
Microsoft has HoloLens.

Without knowing Apple’s plan, it’s difficult to say, in contrast to MP3 or JPEG on macOS, Windows, and Linux, how VR will evolve.

If Apple chooses AR, then it’s not VR.

If Apple chooses VR, then the question sort of hints towards the revival of 3D movies that sort of faded away on Blu-Ray 3D.

And I think the industry is expecting some kind of iTunes for VR, which Oculus is attempting but has yet to make the acquisition of VR movies something more akin to Amazon.com

And how does that relate to the topic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.