Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrTed

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Paris, France
So Apple didn't have time to take care of leopard...did engeneer take a look at macpro since last August ? 1 year macpro didn't move !!
Leopard delay could be a sign to buy now, but did Apple plan to change the bottom/middle of macpro line ?
What do you think ?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I don't see much happening until there are price drops on the dual-core cpus, allowing faster clocked machines at the same price points. Otherwise, not much until 45nm process later in 2007.

MrTed

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Paris, France
That is usually what happens when you introduce new technology into a computer...

You mean 8 core macpro could be compared, strategically, as the last quad G5 release. After that, we had macpro. Maybe we'll have a new technology...but when ?

I don't see much happening until there are price drops on the dual-core cpus, allowing faster clocked machines at the same price points. Otherwise, not much until 45nm process later in 2007.

Mmmm, dual coreduo macpro price drop ? but when ?

MrTed

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Paris, France
it's the first 3.0 ghz 8-core computer, so it's a new technology

No it's the same kind of chip, a change would be new bus speed, redesign (smaller case), etc...

There are two price cuts that the media have been indicating. One on April the 22nd/23rd (many sources cant make up their minds on the actual date), and another comming in July. There haven't really been any indications that the April price drops will effect Xeon pricing, July price drops will bring Quad core chips inline with the current pricing on dual core chips at the same speed on the 2.66Ghz and 2.00Ghz chips (more for 3Ghz)
Ok then, not before august for price drop....

PCtoMac-change

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
I'm pretty sure that the price drops don't involve the Xeons. This is really a price war to see who will get the gamers just before the next generation of CPU's. Could be wrong though, but this is just what I've seen from the articles I have read.

sdhollman

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm pretty sure that the price drops don't involve the Xeons. This is really a price war to see who will get the gamers just before the next generation of CPU's. Could be wrong though, but this is just what I've seen from the articles I have read.

Actually it is across the entire line and includes the Xeons, it will also be happening this month on the 22nd.
http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Readies+New+Xeons+and+Price+Cuts/article6493.htm

I here you MrTed, I was hoping for at least a RAM or HD size increase. The 7300 needs to get the boot and the 3.0 upgrade price needs to drop a little before I buy.

PCtoMac-change

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
did engeneer take a look at macpro since last August ? 1 year macpro didn't move !!
..... but did Apple plan to change the bottom/middle of macpro line ?
What do you think ?

I don't think you're going to see updates as we knew them. Apple is likely just going to add options when they are available. There is no new motherboard planned until Seaburg comes out which is probably a few months off. No new CPUs until the fall. The only thing likely is a video card or optical drive option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.