Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
If I understand the AirTag operation, the tag will use nearby iPhones to "connect" to the FindMy network. Periodically the tag will report it's location to the FindMy network (I understand that this isn't real-time tracking). The "Find Nearby" feature only works if you are within Bluetooth range.

Under what circumstances will the notification "This Item is no longer detected near you" be triggered? Is there some physical distance that you must be away from the last reported location in order to get that notice? If the AirTag can't connect for a period of time to the Find My network, will that also trigger this notification?

Reactions: gshocked

gshocked

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
If I understand the AirTag operation, the tag will use nearby iPhones to "connect" to the FindMy network. Periodically the tag will report it's location to the FindMy network (I understand that this isn't real-time tracking). The "Find Nearby" feature only works if you are within Bluetooth range.

Under what circumstances will the notification "This Item is no longer detected near you" be triggered? Is there some physical distance that you must be away from the last reported location in order to get that notice? If the AirTag can't connect for a period of time to the Find My network, will that also trigger this notification?
The distance until you get a notification is terrible and inconsistent. Sometimes it’s 100m or worst (for me) 250m. Once I was already at my car before got a notification that I left my work keys on my desk. Then another situation was when I had already drove off to go to work 5 mins later I got the notification. I wish apple could let you set the distance before you get notifications.

Reactions: BasilFawlty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.