Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
So I've been thinking about the rumors I've been reading about the iPhone 12. If the rumors holds true, that the iP12 will be port-less, I doubt Apple will include a charging pad. I can see Apple include 1st. gen AirPods though.

So my plan is to buy the iP11 Pro Max at the very last day prior to the keynote in 2020, just in case I don't like the iP12. I read that the 12 Pro Max will be bigger than the current 11 Pro Max in screen size and the 12 Pro will be smaller in screen size of that of the 11 Pro. So this might be the last year I can snag an 11 Pro Max Sim-Free brand new in its size.

Will Apple continue to sell the 11 Pro Max the day before Keynote? When is the last day Apple will offer them in-Store for purchase? I know that once the Keynote is over, the iP12 will be updated into Apple's website and I doubt the 11 Pro/Pro Max will be offered alongside the 12.

Thanks.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Who knows?

Why not wait until the keynote is officially announced? You'll still have time to purchase beforehand if need be. At this point, the exact date for the keynote is anyone's guess.

Either way, you're denying yourself the 'latest' tech for the next 8-9 months or so, and could end up with an out of date smartphone a day after purchase.....
Personally, if I were to wait that long I'd just buy the latest model.....but thats just me....

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just know that the newest launch day iPhones have to run on the buggiest messed up version .0 of the newest release of iOS. It's always a miserable experience- not the hardware, but the software.
After having gone down this road too many times before, (bug ridden new iOS version running on new iPhones) I've decided that the BEST time to buy a new iPhone is in August when all the iOS bugs have already been worked out.
Yeah, you'll be 9 months behind the curve, but your iPhone life will be much more pleasant

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
0% chance I will buy portless unless the speed, range and public availability of wireless skyrockets in less than a year.
[automerge]1576255826[/automerge]
Who knows?

Why not wait until the keynote is officially announced? You'll still have time to purchase beforehand if need be. At this point, the exact date for the keynote is anyone's guess.

Either way, you're denying yourself the 'latest' tech for the next 8-9 months or so, and could end up with an out of date smartphone a day after purchase.....
Personally, if I were to wait that long I'd just buy the latest model.....but thats just me....
Guessing OP wants to still be in the return window for the 11 so they can have a choice of exchanging for the 12 or just returning the 12.

Reactions: ET iPhone Home

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
So I've been thinking about the rumors I've been reading about the iPhone 12. If the rumors holds true, that the iP12 will be port-less, I doubt Apple will include a charging pad. I can see Apple include 1st. gen AirPods though.

So my plan is to buy the iP11 Pro Max at the very last day prior to the keynote in 2020, just in case I don't like the iP12. I read that the 12 Pro Max will be bigger than the current 11 Pro Max in screen size and the 12 Pro will be smaller in screen size of that of the 11 Pro. So this might be the last year I can snag an 11 Pro Max Sim-Free brand new in its size.

Will Apple continue to sell the 11 Pro Max the day before Keynote? When is the last day Apple will offer them in-Store for purchase? I know that once the Keynote is over, the iP12 will be updated into Apple's website and I doubt the 11 Pro/Pro Max will be offered alongside the 12.

Thanks.

iPhone 12 will be 6.8” Apple buys their displays from Samsung. And I currently have a Samsung Note 10+ which has a 6.8” display.
Everyone said I was crazy when I had a Note 5. With 6.4” Display and said Apple was making a 6.4” iPhone.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
That’s rumored for 2021. It’s not even 2020 yet. Why so worried about something in the future?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You can buy it on the day of the keynote.

Apple Stores take a few days to send all their inventory back to the distribution center. Apple Stores will still sell you the device even if it's no longer listed on the Apple website.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
0% chance I will buy portless unless the speed, range and public availability of wireless skyrockets in less than a year.
[automerge]1576255826[/automerge]

Guessing OP wants to still be in the return window for the 11 so they can have a choice of exchanging for the 12 or just returning the 12.
Yes, exactly, I want to be in that 14-day window in case I decide to exchange 11 for 12. I think I need to purchase the 11 days before Keynote, because once keynote begins, 11 is no longer up for sale at Apple site.
[automerge]1576282002[/automerge]
That’s rumored for 2021. It’s not even 2020 yet. Why so worried about something in the future?
The rumors are for 2020 due to the redesign iPhone being port-less.
[automerge]1576282138[/automerge]
Who knows?

Because I'm not sure if I really want a port-less phone which is why I want to make sure I get my hands on an 11 Pro Max.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yeah- buy the 11 variant the day before the keynote. That'll give you plenty of time to return it after the 12 series are unveiled (if you want)

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Yes, exactly, I want to be in that 14-day window in case I decide to exchange 11 for 12. I think I need to purchase the 11 days before Keynote, because once keynote begins, 11 is no longer up for sale at Apple site.
[automerge]1576282002[/automerge]

The rumors are for 2020 due to the redesign iPhone being port-less.
[automerge]1576282138[/automerge]

Because I'm not sure if I really want a port-less phone which is why I want to make sure I get my hands on an 11 Pro Max.
Apple plans to launch a high-end iPhone without a Lightning connector in the second half of 2021, according to a new prediction from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/05/kuo-iphone-without-lightning-connector-2021/

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah- buy the 11 variant the day before the keynote. That'll give you plenty of time to return it after the 12 series are unveiled (if you want)
That was exactly my plan. Because I've noticed with the X and XS, those phones were completely out of Apple's site. You could only acquire the X refurbished after the Keynote.
[automerge]1576305210[/automerge]
Apple plans to launch a high-end iPhone without a Lightning connector in the second half of 2021, according to a new prediction from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/05/kuo-iphone-without-lightning-connector-2021/
Thanks for the link. So 2021, Apple will offer the high-end iPhone without lightning. I wonder if Apple in 2021 will also offer iPhones with lightning. Interesting.
[automerge]1576305243[/automerge]
Who would seriously plan to buy the latest iPhone at full, or very close to full, retail price, the day before it becomes 'last years model' and it automatically reduced in price a lot more?
Me..LOL.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This is a very strange topic, because we do not even know when the keynote is.

Why are you in December 2019 already freaking out over rumours? The iPhone 12 models are all probably still prototypes that have not been finalized in terms of final design.

Remember how people thought the 11 series were going to support Reverse Charging and it seems at the 11th hour Apple changed their minds?

Relax and wait for the Keynote date to be announced first, calm down.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks for the link. So 2021, Apple will offer the high-end iPhone without lightning. I wonder if Apple in 2021 will also offer iPhones with lightning. Interesting.

Me..LOL.
That was exactly my plan. Because I've noticed with the X and XS, those phones were completely out of Apple's site. You could only acquire the X refurbished after the Keynote.
[automerge]1576305210[/automerge]

Me..LOL.
Why don’t u just buy from a tech retailer? XS is still available new with 30% discount. And this also will be the case for the 11.
no need to pay apple full price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.