Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waziazi

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
USA
i need a new monitor. i want the studio display. but when will the new model be out? i need more info! like an exact date. lol

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
i need a new monitor. i want the studio display. but when will the new model be out? i need more info! like an exact date. lol
Not for a long while is my prediction, based on how long Apple keeps individual monitors before refreshing.

There's little that the Studio Display needs that it doesn't have, IMHO. People talk about 120Hz, but that will have to wait for (1) Thunderbolt 5, and (2) someone to actually produce a 120Hz 5K panel, neither of which are currently available.

iSandrotto

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2023
Thunderbolt 5 has at least been announced. It is not supported by the M3 generation but I assume M4 will have a Thunderbolt 5 controller on board. The M4 Studio - which is a perfect candidate to release an updated monitor in parallel - will likely be announced in June 2025 or later. My guess therefore is that such a display will be released in that timeframe.

I am too waiting for an updated display, either the Studio or the XDR Pro display and I am somewhat unsure if I should replace my 2017 iMac with the M3 Studio once it gets announced in June given it does not have Thunderbolt 5 on board...

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Not for a long while is my prediction, based on how long Apple keeps individual monitors before refreshing.

There's little that the Studio Display needs that it doesn't have, IMHO. People talk about 120Hz, but that will have to wait for (1) Thunderbolt 5, and (2) someone to actually produce a 120Hz 5K panel, neither of which are currently available.
This seems most likely to me.

Apple tends to go a long time before updating displays.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
Thunderbolt was developed by Intel and Apple, and they have always been an early adaptor when it comes to new versions. So, now that Intel has announced Thunderbolt 5, it wouldn't be surprising if it came with Apple products later this year or maybe in 2025.

Then again, Apple is notoriously slow when it comes to updating their external displays. Maybe, Thunderbolt 5 comes with new macs silently next year or so and nothing happens about external displays for a few more years. This way, when a substantial portion of MBP, MP, etc. out there in use can support 120Hz at high resolutions, it will have been roughly a decade since the introduction of Pro Display XDR, a perfect timing for Apple to introduce a shinny new XDR that costs you a handsome amount of money. Oh, Studio Display? My money's on you waiting another few more years after that.

waziazi

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
USA
I wouldn't hold your breath.
yep, went ahead an go a used one on ebay for $1.2k, will dump it on someone couple weeks before the new model drops, hope it retains its value

apple watch is the worst reseller, got half for my ultra.

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Not much stock here in the UK from the resellers. I went into curry's and they have none in their stores and have removed the labels of their pricing in the stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.