Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
I have seen the Galaxy S3 and there's a few features I want from it. I want it's quick access on the notification menu. I can change my song and turn a few settings with just one swipe from the top.

On the iPhone, it's double click on the home button and looking for settings. If it's not running then you have to go to the home screen and tap settings or Music. It's a long process and I don't think I'm up to doing that every time I want to go to the airplane mode.

Samsung and Google went first with this one. If they patented this feature, Apple could be dead if they copied that feature.

And this could be just the beginning. If Samsung thinks of revolutionary ideas before Apple does, then Apple is fried. Just like BlackBerry.

So, what are your thoughts if Apple will be copying Samsung and getting sued? Would you agree with Samsung or support Apple?

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
Fair is fair. I don't see Apple as a "copier."

They would pay for the right to use the technology or invent a way around it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple will license if they find a patented feature they need that they cannot legally use for an inspired-by feature.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Past two posters hit the nail on the head. If Apple finds some feature oh-so-incredible that they must have it and it is patented, they will license it. They already do with a lot of things in the iPhone.

rushluvr

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012

They completely stole Android's notification bar and about a dozen patents Motorola has owned for over 30 years....

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
They completely stole Android's notification bar and about a dozen patents Motorola has owned for over 30 years....

I doubt that there are even 1% of posters here that understand the labyrinth that is Paten Law.

While iOS and Android look similar patents generally have to be more specific or they can run afoul of prior art and other issues.

I'm not sure Android's patent for the Notification UI is that widespread. Motorola owns many patents but many would have to be licensed out as essential patens so it's not quite clear.

As two posters have said above. Apple is not afraid or reticent to pay licensing fees. They have a deep enough patent portfolio to ensure that they are bringing in enough revenue from patents to offset the licensing they pay.

This is in opposition to what Samsung has done which has purloined patents without paying appropriate licensing.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Apple will license if they find a patented feature they need that they cannot legally use for an inspired-by feature.

I agree. They would, but what I don't understand is why are people thrilled about it? I mean its us, the consumers! that end up paying for that license. It gets added to the end product.

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
I agree. They would, but what I don't understand is why are people thrilled about it? I mean its us, the consumers! that end up paying for that license. It gets added to the end product.

I think" thrilled" is not the appropriate word. That's why I used the word, "fair" in my note above.

This is in reference to Samsung stealing intelectual property from Apple and using it for personal profit. I think Tim Cook would not succumb to this poor thieving behavior. He has been quoted as wishing to settle and not fight lawsuites. Apple is truly a company that goes where no man has gone before; Star Treck.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I have seen the Galaxy S3 and there's a few features I want from it. I want it's quick access on the notification menu. I can change my song and turn a few settings with just one swipe from the top.

On the iPhone, it's double click on the home button and looking for settings. If it's not running then you have to go to the home screen and tap settings or Music. It's a long process and I don't think I'm up to doing that every time I want to go to the airplane mode.

Samsung and Google went first with this one. If they patented this feature, Apple could be dead if they copied that feature.

And this could be just the beginning. If Samsung thinks of revolutionary ideas before Apple does, then Apple is fried. Just like BlackBerry.

So, what are your thoughts if Apple will be copying Samsung and getting sued? Would you agree with Samsung or support Apple?

Settings & music in the notifications menu has been around in the dev community for years.

Neither Samsung nor Google has invented anything here.

Samsung just gets credit for trying to cozy up with the dev community. Why do you think they offered Steve Kondik (aka cyanogen) a job at samsung mobile.

Most of the Innovation you now see in android originated from the dev community.

Last edited:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I doubt that there are even 1% of posters here that understand the labyrinth that is Paten Law.

While iOS and Android look similar patents generally have to be more specific or they can run afoul of prior art and other issues.

I'm not sure Android's patent for the Notification UI is that widespread. Motorola owns many patents but many would have to be licensed out as essential patens so it's not quite clear.

As two posters have said above. Apple is not afraid or reticent to pay licensing fees. They have a deep enough patent portfolio to ensure that they are bringing in enough revenue from patents to offset the licensing they pay.

This is in opposition to what Samsung has done which has purloined patents without paying appropriate licensing.

Holy jesus dude. You know how many patents Apple has used WITHOUT paying? And by the way, Google's patent on the notification bar is very specific (unlike most of Apple's) and after reading it, Apple is in serious trouble once that patent is approved by the uspto. Google doesn't have to license anything regarding their idea and Apple willfully stole the patent. We are talking billions of dollars x 3. And I say billions, because they copied it on osx and iOS.

According to the USPTO filing, Google would own the patent for “a computer-implemented user notification method includes displaying, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface, a notification of a recent alert event for a mobile device, receiving a user selection in the status area, and in response to the receipt of the user selection, displaying, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail regarding a plurality of recent messaging events for the mobile device."

----------

Settings & music in the notifications menu has been around in the dev community for years.

Neither Samsung nor Google has invented anything here.

Samsung just gets credit for trying to cozy up with the dev community. Why do you think they offered Steve Kondik (aka cyanogen) a job at samsung mobile.

Most of the Innovation you now see in android originated from the dev community.

I have one name for you: Comex

What's that taste like? Hypocrisy?

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Holy jesus dude. You know how many patents Apple has used WITHOUT paying? And by the way, Google's patent on the notification bar is very specific (unlike most of Apple's) and after reading it, Apple is in serious trouble once that patent is approved by the uspto. Google doesn't have to license anything regarding their idea and Apple willfully stole the patent. We are talking billions of dollars x 3. And I say billions, because they copied it on osx and iOS.

This.

Google's patent seems to cover the way Appls does the notification.As you correctly pointed out..Google does not have to license this as this aint standards essential. These patents are like a ticking time-bomb for Apple.

Not sure why Apple felt they could get away with it.:eek:

Apple have even resorted to rejecting Apps from the store and then blatantly stealing from their own developers:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/08/apple_copies_rejected_app/

:eek::eek::eek:
WOW! if this isn't blatantly ripping something off..I don't know what what it is.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010

----------

I have one name for you: Comex

What's that taste like? Hypocrisy?

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”

Huh?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

You need to list these to be credible.

The Motorola legal action covers patents that are for the most part licensed through the chip manufactures, so Apple enjoys the use of this technology without having to pay Motorola.

The one thing about patent law that is very clear is you cannot selectively protect your IP. Its all or nothing, and Motorola has allowed every cellphone manufacturer to infringe for more than a decade if what they are accusing Apple of is legit.

It will be thrown out of court.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
This.

Google's patent seems to cover the way Appls does the notification.As you correctly pointed out..Google does not have to license this as this aint standards essential. These patents are like a ticking time-bomb for Apple.

I believe Googles patent application is still pending. If the USPTO or any petitioning body - like Apple - can find prior art, it may never be granted.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Do a Google search if you don't understand. But if you don't even know the name Comex, you shouldn't be posting in here. Basically, with one word I made you look like a hypocrit.
That you don't understand what I did, proves you should be wearing clown shoes.

Your attempt to belittle someone for not knowing something instead of educating them to help prove your point makes you look foolish. If you are confident about your message than use the time it took to type this message up and be productive with it instead of coming off as some cyber bully.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Do a Google search if you don't understand. But if you don't even know the name Comex, you shouldn't be posting in here. Basically, with one word I made you look like a hypocrit.
That you don't understand what I did, proves you should be wearing clown shoes.

You're funny champ, why don't you be a darling and explain why that has any relevance to what I posted earlier.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I think" thrilled" is not the appropriate word. That's why I used the word, "fair" in my note above.

This is in reference to Samsung stealing intelectual property from Apple and using it for personal profit. I think Tim Cook would not succumb to this poor thieving behavior. He has been quoted as wishing to settle and not fight lawsuites. Apple is truly a company that goes where no man has gone before; Star Treck.

Well i'm not sure Sammy keeps it for personal profit as their prices are considered more realistic, with a 'fair' profit, by that I mean there is no 300% profit margin on their products.

But I see you're point now.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
I believe Googles patent application is still pending. If the USPTO or any petitioning body - like Apple - can find prior art, it may never be granted.

Yes it is pending, and believe me, I have looked and I have looked far and wide and am yet to see ANY prior art to the notification system Google uses. Keep in mind that this is not merely about notification..but about how it is implemented/shown in the UI.

In all fairness, might there be some prior art? there "might" be, but chances are infinitesimally small.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The Motorola legal action covers patents that are for the most part licensed through the chip manufactures, so Apple enjoys the use of this technology without having to pay Motorola.

Not this time. With the ITC and a suit in Delaware (I think), Motorola is using their own, non-FRAND patents against Apple.

They include patents on location aware apps, media sync'ing, apps like Siri, and push notifications.

The one thing about patent law that is very clear is you cannot selectively protect your IP. Its all or nothing, and Motorola has allowed every cellphone manufacturer to infringe for more than a decade if what they are accusing Apple of is legit.

What patent law are you talking about?

The only thing that waiting does, is remove the urgency aspect. For instance, Judge Koh noted that Apple claimed a need for immediate injunctions, yet they had waited from 2007 to 2011 before suing Samsung.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
You're funny champ, why don't you be a darling and explain why that has any relevance to what I posted earlier.

If you don't know about one of the most famous Apple hackers and can't see the hypocrisy in your post, educating you would be fruitless. Google search the name. Educate yourself before you post something else obtuse.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
If you don't know about one of the most famous Apple hackers and can't see the hypocrisy in your post, educating you would be fruitless. Google search the name. Educate yourself before you post something else obtuse.

Ohhhhh okay I get it now. I was wondering which angle you were coming from. You thought I was making a pro apple post. No capt'n, I was merely correcting the op since I've had music & settings in the notification menu since the days of the Mytouch 3G (hence the title Google & Samsung innovates first would technically be wrong).

Honestly I could give 2 ***** about how apple conducts business seeing as I'm not much of a fan of their business model. Thanks for assuming but you know what they say when u assume. Ass + u + me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.