Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddbbs373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
i want to send a few songs two a friend from a forum, but would prefer he not know my mac username, which is visible, for me at least, in itunes if you click on the song, go to file and see location. my mac username is also visible when you click for more info about the file just in the finder. will this be visible either in itunes or the find for the person i share the song with? that is to say, if they click on the song i send them, in the finder, in general within where will it say my username? same with itunes; if they click the song in itunes under file then location, will it show my username? if if it wouldn't show my usernmae, would it show their username? if it will show my username and perhaps other information sensitive to my computer, how can I remove this sort of data from the song before i send it? thanks for your help

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If you mean it says it in a form like this:

/Users/xxx/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/artist/album/track

It will not show on the recipient's computer. This is the path to the file on your computer. It is just the location of where the file is; And it's in your User's folder's music library. If you place it anywhere outside your user folder, it'll also not show it on your computer.

If on the other hand your username is written in fields like "composer", this is metadata associated with the file, and will be transferred.

ddbbs373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
If you mean it says it in a form like this:

/Users/xxx/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/artist/album/track

It will not show on the recipient's computer. This is the path to the file on your computer. It is just the location of where the file is; And it's in your User's folder's music library. If you place it anywhere outside your user folder, it'll also not show it on your computer.

If on the other hand your username is written in fields like "composer", this is metadata associated with the file, and will be transferred.

Great!. Would it be possible to show me an example, like using WeTransfer (wetransfer.com) could you just send a random song in mp3 format? The song I'm sending is in .aiff format. That shouldn't matter, correct. I believe, it is just that would be helpful confirmation. my email address is rossthebossdog44@gmail.com. So what is the point of programs like tag stripper? Is there some sort of meta data attached with a .aiff or mp3 file that contains sensitive infor and should be removed? thanks

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Great!. Would it be possible to show me an example, like using WeTransfer (wetransfer.com) could you just send a random song in mp3 format? The song I'm sending is in .aiff format. That shouldn't matter, correct. I believe, it is just that would be helpful confirmation. my email address is rossthebossdog44@gmail.com. So what is the point of programs like tag stripper? Is there some sort of meta data attached with a .aiff or mp3 file that contains sensitive infor and should be removed? thanks

Yes. I can obviously not send you copyrighted material, but I can send you tracks created by my mate.

Regarding formats; Some formats have more capacity for metadata than others, but in any case, no it doesn't really make a difference for this question here.

What metadata is attached with a file varies. You don't need any special tools to get rid of metadata - Finder or iTunes can do that. A person could choose to put in confidential information into a file's metadata container, but it'd have to be something you'd explicitly do, or have malware do for you, which I've never heard of any malware doing.
The metadata associated with audio files is typically just album name, artist, release date of the album, track count, composer, maybe lyrics and album art, etc.
The Location string isn't actually metadata at all. It's just the local machine's file system path to the file you're examining. The location of the resource on your computer. Move the file, and the Location changes.

To ease your mind, I'll send you an audio file on WeTransfer now. Suppose I might as well plug my mate - His "stage name" is M0rxx. His music style isn't really for me, but yeah, maybe you like it.
[doublepost=1557866358][/doublepost]Oh yeah, regarding why people use tools like tag stripper; I have no clue. Maybe the tiny tiny portion of extra storage spent is just annoying them? Maybe they have corrupted metadata and want to get rid of it before letting an analysis program try and rebuild new records through online databases? i don't know

ddbbs373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
Thanks for this incredibly detailed reply and your assistance generally. This was incredibly informative. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.