Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Good morning everybody! I own an AP 2 bought in october 2019 and I’m asking myself: when I will need to change the tip? Any suggestion?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
This is a great question. I wonder how you know when to change it. Will it stop working well? Skip? Or show a dull line?

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
From the Apple support site
Apple Pencil
When should you change your Apple Pencil tip? Where do you buy and Apple Pencil replacement tip? How do you change the tip?
Answer:A:
In order of your questions.

• The Pencil tip should be changed as soon as any wear is noted - or if any part of the enclosed metal transducer is seen.
Also look at the tip, and feel the tip, any damage to the tip from dropping it or roughness to the tip, you should change the tip.

Reactions: Cycom and Nhwhazup

Livvie

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
From the Apple support site
Apple Pencil
When should you change your Apple Pencil tip? Where do you buy and Apple Pencil replacement tip? How do you change the tip?
Answer:A:
In order of your questions.

• The Pencil tip should be changed as soon as any wear is noted - or if any part of the enclosed metal transducer is seen.
Also look at the tip, and feel the tip, any damage to the tip from dropping it or roughness to the tip, you should change the tip.

Is that cause it could damage the screen?

Weed

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2021
So long as you're not one of the folks who put screen protectors on their iPads, you shouldn't have to think about it ever. Unless you drop/damage it of course.

Reactions: Davidalan

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It seems basically that there isn’t a rule ?

I would say the rule is feel. How does the pencil feel as you write or drag it across the screen, as compared to how it used to feel. Smooth no hesitation, your fine. Hesitation and jerky feeling, then change the tip. Physical appearance, looks physically worn or rough, or no longer smooth (feel it with your finger), then change the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.