Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joker00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
did anyone hear when google will release a CarPlay update?

Thanks

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The earliest they can release anything is after the GM is released in the fall.
Ummm...that's not true. If they provide the update now, it would work on Car Play as soon as one of the betas in iOS12 allowed it (presumably now...but I don't really now that for sure). Wouldn't affect anyone else either way since it is just a new part of the code in Google Maps or Waze standard app.

Right?

ipacers

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Portland, OR
Ummm...that's not true. If they provide the update now, it would work on Car Play as soon as one of the betas in iOS12 allowed it (presumably now...but I don't really now that for sure). Wouldn't affect anyone else either way since it is just a new part of the code in Google Maps or Waze standard app.

Right?

The only way Google can release a CarPlay enabled app is to build against the iOS 12 SDK and apps that do that are not allowed to be submitted to the App Store until the GM release. The only way to get this functionality during the beta period is to have a beta copy of Waze from Testflight etc. The public version cannot have CarPlay support until the GM.

Make sense?

Reactions: tagy

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The only way Google can release a CarPlay enabled app is to build against the iOS 12 SDK and apps that do that are not allowed to be submitted to the App Store until the GM release. The only way to get this functionality during the beta period is to have a beta copy of Waze from Testflight etc. The public version cannot have CarPlay support until the GM.

Make sense?

Yes...they could release a beta version of their app now that would work with the beta version of iOS 12.

But I guess what I’m saying is that they could release that now as an update in the app without affecting anyone other than those that used it with CarPlay. It doesn’t really change the app for those not using CarPlay or the beta version of iOS by adding that “option” to the app today.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes...they could release a beta version of their app now that would work with the beta version of iOS 12.

But I guess what I’m saying is that they could release that now as an update in the app without affecting anyone other than those that used it with CarPlay. It doesn’t really change the app for those not using CarPlay or the beta version of iOS by adding that “option” to the app today.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/no-waze-in-ios-12-carplay.2121538/#post-26119997

ipacers

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Portland, OR

Yes, they can possibly release a beta via TestFlight that has CarPlay support but not though the App Store. You need to target iOS 12 APIs to get CarPlay to work and the App Store does not allow apps that do that yet. iTunes Connect will not allow you to upload an app that targets a beta SDK to the store. Again, they *cannot* release a public update to the app that includes CarPlay until the GM in September.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yes, they can possibly release a beta via TestFlight that has CarPlay support but not though the App Store. You need to target iOS 12 APIs to get CarPlay to work and the App Store does not allow apps that do that yet. iTunes Connect will not allow you to upload an app that targets a beta SDK to the store. Again, they *cannot* release a public update to the app that includes CarPlay until the GM in September.
I just want to follow on from this to explain why you might see some apps update with notes that mention fixes for or compatibility with iOS 12, as I anticipate this might be a question from some reading the above. There may be a few odd changes in iOS 12 which cause problems when running apps built against older SDKs (e.g. iOS 11). In many cases, there are workarounds that can be implemented with the iOS 11 SDK, and that's what those apps are doing. They're not updating to take advantage of new iOS 12 features, just doing the best they can with the older SDK.

Reactions: ipacers

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Unless you are a developer or have a developer account, you will be getting this in September, not any sooner.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Unless you are a developer or have a developer account, you will be getting this in September, not any sooner.
What about the public betas of 12 with a Waze beta, word is they may be doing some beta testing

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
What about the public betas of 12 with a Waze beta, word is they may be doing some beta testing

If you are a developer or have a developer account, you may be able to access that.

I don't mess with iOS betas. My phone is too important to me to jump the gun on the updates and end up with problems.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Problems are the fun of the whole thing. Figuring out work around etc makes my day. (Well most of the time)

Reactions: joker00
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.