Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
You know 185,000 apps, but there's got to be over 15 flashlight apps etc just to name one thing, multiply this times all the other apps out there that are 98% similar, and it's a mess, do you think Apple is going to cleanup this clutter of apps?

Stngray

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Goodyear, AZ
Should apple decide which flashlight app is the best? I don't want them doing that, let me decide which one is best for me. They are already restrictive enough with the approval process, they don't need to become even more restrictive.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
When I go to get apps, normally I just go to each category and see most popular because it takes to long sifting through by most recent dates/etc to find something decent.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
How would they organise them? Have a flashlight section of the store? :p

'Fart sound' / Toilet humour section as well maybe.

Or perhaps they could just have a 'gimmicks' section of the store and everyone would be happy :)

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I think Apple will clean up repetitive apps about the same time the only car brand you can buy is a Toyota, the only frozen food you can buy is made by Swanson, and the only fruit in the produce department is a variety of different oranges.

Me, I'll take the "hassle" of digging through multiple apps that do the same thing in favor of more choice.

Mark

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
It would be nice if they would nuke all the repetitive apps.

The only way Apple can nuke repetitive apps is to first add the functionality to the OS, and integrating everything from the App Store would be ... bad.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You know 185,000 apps, but there's got to be over 15 flashlight apps etc just to name one thing, multiply this times all the other apps out there that are 98% similar, and it's a mess, do you think Apple is going to cleanup this clutter of apps?

Yeah because choice and an open marketplace are a horrible thing. Which Flashlight app should Apple choose to delete? When Apple removed the girly apps it was done rather wholesale -- though a blind eye was used when it came to some well known institutions.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No thanks. I don't want apple deciding for me.

bbtrinet

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I think a good idea would be for Apple to 'hide' similar flashlight apps.

For example, when you look for utility apps, only ONE flashlight app is shown (the most popular by downloads, or some such rating). But this 'best' flashlight app is just the image used for a folder of all the flashlight apps, and all the other ones can be seen with a 'find similar' button.

Advantages:
(1) All flashlight-type apps can be seen in an instant. My choices are right there instead of hunting around for all 15 of them.
(2) Less search results initially, as 15 of these apps are sorted down to 1.
(3) An 'educated consumer' upon finding an app will always drill down and see his 'similar choices' and compare them, maybe to find one for a better value.
(4) Developers who are trying to compete are given a better advantage. For example, I make a Pac-man clone for $2.99. My clone will be seen under Pac-Man for $4.99 as a 'similar app'. Or my awesome MsPacMan-PacMan-PacManJr app for $8.99 might be seen as a better deal than just the $4.99 PacMan app.

Disadvantages:
(1) My strobe-light app might be placed under flashlight apps and 'lost'. Apple needs a mechanism for appealing a ruling of placing your app under 'similar apps'.

Anyone's thoughts?

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
I can see it now--1 driving sim game, 1 hidden object, 1 word game. Then we can extend it out. Call of Duty's currently up to what, 7? Really, one's enough. :rolleyes: People like having a choice. I'd hate to give up Pages or Open Office if it were decided one word processing program were enough and some fool decided Word was it.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
If apps aren't being downloaded, I don't have a problem with Apple deleting them. Developers can always resubmit.

I don't want, however, Apple deciding which app is worthy and which isn't. The 85 million or whatever iPhone OS users can do that just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.