Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy.jc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
When will usb C
Be on AirPods and iPhone
Is it worth waiting for it to come out on AirPods or buy now
As be nice to now when will be usb c

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It’s mostly just the convenience of having one type of cable to charge the devices. If you can live with the regular Lightning cables for a bit more I doubt you’d have other downsides in everyday life.

I expect the change to come within the next two years.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
No one here can tell you that. The fact that AirPods Pro 2 was just released with Lightning, tells me they’re in no hurry though. In Europe, devices are supposed to have USB-C by the end of 2024 but we’ll just have to wait & see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
When will usb C
Be on AirPods and iPhone
Is it worth waiting for it to come out on AirPods or buy now
As be nice to now when will be usb c
I think that this will happen in iPhone 15 and no later than iPhone 16 in 2024. Because otherwise Apple will no longer be able to sell iPhones in EU. Non-usb c products will be illegal to sell.

Reactions: Bento.Box

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
In the long run, demanding all to be on USB-C could hurt innovation. Sooner or later something better will come out.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Probably 2023 for most of their products. The latest Apple TV remote has already moved to USB-C, and many rumors say that the iPhone 15 will feature a USB-C port. Once the iPhone has switched to USB-C, I can't see why AirPods, Magic Keyboard/trackpad/mouse would not also switch

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Years as noted above

Is it worth waiting to buy AirPods until they charge via USB C?
Hell no.
Buy something because you like its functionality, how it compliments your life, and how it makes you feel.
Not based on the tech involved in making it work.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
No one here can tell you that. The fact that AirPods Pro 2 was just released with Lightning, tells me they’re in no hurry though. In Europe, devices are supposed to have USB-C by the end of 2024 but we’ll just have to wait & see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It would have made no sense to release AirPods 2 pro with USB with all iPhones supporting lightning.

USB-C for new devices, all already available devices can still be sold.

Reactions: macsound1

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Always buy something when you need it/ want it/ can afford it etc...

Life is too short to be waiting for the "next big thing".

If it functions how you want it too, regardless of charging behaviour, get it.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It would have made no sense to release AirPods 2 pro with USB with all iPhones supporting lightning.

USB-C for new devices, all already available devices can still be sold.
Meh. iPads are USB-C, Macs are USB-C, Beats are USB-C. Even the Apple TV remote is now USB-C. My guess is some of these are going to go portless (including some iPhone models) which is why they’re putting off changing connectors, when the ultimate goal is to remove it altogether. But we’ll see!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The're being compelled to embrace usb-c, so their iPhones will be the next set of apple products to go that way. In the end, its a great move to use an industry standard then a proprietary interface.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
The're being compelled to embrace usb-c, so their iPhones will be the next set of apple products to go that way. In the end, its a great move to use an industry standard then a proprietary interface.
It will produce tons and tons of waste. People will not only ditch the already available lightning cables but also accessories like lightning charging cases for AirPods. But that’s EU.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It will produce tons and tons of waste.
I really don't see it that way. Yes, people upgrading to a new phone will need a new cable, but given the short lifespan of these cables anyways - a couple of years at best. They end up in the landfill.

As a side note, if Apple didn't fight this as long as they did the impact to the environment would be a lot less but they dragged it on for far too long. There's a measure of wisdom in having all the phones use the same interface imo.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I really don't see it that way. Yes, people upgrading to a new phone will need a new cable, but given the short lifespan of these cables anyways - a couple of years at best. They end up in the landfill.

As a side note, if Apple didn't fight this as long as they did the impact to the environment would be a lot less but they dragged it on for far too long. There's a measure of wisdom in having all the phones use the same interface imo.
for me it’s something different to put working stuff into trash or because it’s beyond it’s lifetime.
same with cars. throwing away perfect working cars to buy new ones with batteries. For climate.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
for me it’s something different to put working stuff into trash or because it’s beyond it’s lifetime.
same with cars. throwing away perfect working cars to buy new ones with batteries. For climate.
Then its probably best you hold off buying a new phone until the old one is no longer working. That way your current phone and cables are being used completely

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Then its probably best you hold off buying a new phone until the old one is no longer working. That way your current phone and cables are being used completely
Exactly what I am doing. Dont get me wrong innovation is good and unavoidable. But unelected politicians forcing a company to switch to a 8 year old standard is destroying innovation.
let the customer decide. And yes they preferred the lightning based iPhones over USB-C Android.

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
To OP’s original questions:
1. There is no firm date if/when either of those devices move to USB C. There is EU regulation which defines that newly released devices with a charging port must comply, but Apple could remove the port from each and still be in compliance.
2. The only reason to wait on AirPod Pro is if you’re not satisfied with its current features. It already supports inductive charging so you can ignore the Lightning port if you like.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Yes, people upgrading to a new phone will need a new cable, but given the short lifespan of these cables anyways - a couple of years at best. They end up in the landfill.
...and Apple have long been ahead of the game in making chargers with USB sockets, so it's only cables that should need replacing.

Except... How many alarm clocks, music systems etc. are there with Lightning "docks" built in?
I can see them on Amazon etc. but have no idea how many were actually sold... I know such things were popular with the old 30 pin connector (I've got a 30 pin iPod dock in a cover somewhere) but did that not teach people to avoid buying iPhone-only accessories?

OTOH I guess they're mostly landfill-bound anyway in favour of shiny new magsafe ones... These EU mandates are only nibbling at the edges of the problem of tons of consumer goods being sold at "disposable" prices. Mountains of cheap junk are currently being bought for xmas, nothing to do with Apple, most of which will be broken or abandoned by this time next year.

Reactions: maflynn

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I personally do have a drawer full of iPhones. I really only use 6s and later so all use lighting cables. As appliances and screens and controllers. I’m not normal.
But regular families have the same pain point.
Maybe parents will buy new phones but what about kids, parents, grandparents who get pass-me-downs or don’t upgrade often.
How many years will it take for the number of new USB C iPhones to outweigh lightning models? 5 years?
How many years until all those charging vaults at stadiums and malls and hotels and bars to replace lightning cables?

The issue isn’t with techies. They get you need to replace things.

It’s the Everyman who is super baffled at a new port that looks incredibly similar to the old port.
We’ll see lots of broken USB C “tongues”

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
The EU has now given a deadline of December 2024. Given that iPs are announced September, sold shortly thereafter, this must mean that IP15 will most likely have USB-C.

Side-note: Quicker transfer speed than 480Mbs/s would be great but just a reminder that this limitation can also be retained by USB-C. There has indeed been rumors that further product segmentation will feature some Pro models only, getting maximum throughput speed with different chipsets. I only mention this as many MR members screaming for USB-C appear to correlate this port with guaranteed faster speed.

I've just bought a 13 Mini and also prefer the Lightning port for the more positive lock. Neither does the EU ruling make any sense (environmental reasons) as people will, again have to buy all new cables/ charging docks, etc. Ok, but know I digress.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Quicker transfer speed than 480Mbs/s would be great but just a reminder that this limitation can also be retained by USB-C. There has indeed been rumors that further product segmentation will feature some Pro models only, getting maximum throughput speed with different chipsets. I only mention this as many MR members screaming for USB-C appear to correlate this port with guaranteed faster speed

I’ve been banging this drum for a while.
Most usb c cables people own are indeed USB 2 speed. Including all the ones they’re planning on reusing because they charge all devices, like the one included with all Macs.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
It will produce tons and tons of waste. People will not only ditch the already available lightning cables but also accessories like lightning charging cases for AirPods. But that’s EU.
It absolutely will, create even more waste! I live in the EU and am on principle quite opposed to one non-tech entity deciding what's best. I'm ok with Apple outfitting USB-C for EU only models but the retooling is probably financially not viable. But I've been wrong before thinking this about removal of the sim tray on the IP14 just for the US market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.