Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddiejoer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on when Apple might stop supporting software updates for machines using Intel Core 2 Duo processors? Do you think the next major OS X release will still be supported on this generation of machines?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Apple still sold new systems with core 2 duo in 2011. I would say that software updates will continue to support at least some Core 2 Duo for another 3 or 4 years.
You also have to note that the earliest Core 2 Duo Macs stopped at 10.7.5 - and some Macs can dual boot from Tiger and El Capitan (and any system in between)
You have Macs that are now close to 9 years old (ex. MacBookPro (15-inch mid/late 2007), with that wide range of possible systems that you can use on a single Mac.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Hard to say for sure.

Even now many of the new features aren't supported in the oldest models (2007-2010). As for speed I haven't noticed any benefits on the oldest (2007-2008) supported Macs which isn't surprising since Apple is mainly focusing on the newer models.

10.12 may well have similar requirements as El Capitan but I would not be surprised if Apple would drop at least some of oldest supported models in 10.13.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I have a mid 2010 MacBook (the last white one) and I've put 8 gigs of RAM and an SSD in it. It runs smooth as butter and flawlessly with El Capitan. I'd expect the same with the next major OSX update, except Apple does something really crazy with it.

Of course there are some features I can't use due to Apple's politics but it doesn't matter because it's not a machine for work or else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.