Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
You would think that safari on iOS would be as fast as chrome is.

Very sad that safari is so slow and we can't change the default browser in ios.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Well I find chrome fast and reliable so that's my opinion

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I find chrome and firefox on ios are faster than safari on ios

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
How so (in what way)?
Almost every way.

The fast scrolling alone is a big advantage. Apple still makes automatic stops when swiping a page, whilst chrome allows top to bottom with one swipe.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Almost every way.

The fast scrolling alone is a big advantage. Apple still makes automatic stops when swiping a page, whilst chrome allows top to bottom with one swipe.
That's actually a difference in design/implementation than a performance thing or anything like that. Apple provides the functionality for it but doesn't use inertia scrolling in Safari (at least on the iPhones) while various other browsers decided to use that functionality. Not sure about any other ways that make other browsers stand out.

Reactions: M. Gustave

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Safari is slow? News to me.

I'm no expert, but I suggest changing or disabling content blockers. I was using ABP and it slowed browsing to a crawl. Switched to Adguard, now everything is smooth as silk.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
You do know Chrome on iOS is just safari with a skin...

"... with a skin..."

Much more than just a skin.

Apps arent anymore using the old api, uiwebview rendering, as they were forced to use couple years ago and other browsers sucked.

What comes to Opera for example, It is even using its own rendering engine in their cloud if you have enabled data saving.

So basicly any browser nowadays can be built to be as fast as safari. It is not just the ui but the whole package. Of course they are still using the api that apple provides, but they arent suffering anymore from this "only a skin"-thing. Safari has only one advantage in ios devices: it only can be the default app. But luckily links from gmail app opens straight to chrome =}

And... Some browsers have even much better skin (gui) and functions than safari ;)

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
I agree Chrome is faster than Safari on iOS and OS X. But Chrome on OS X utterly destroys your battery

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
In my experience, Safari on iOS is faster than any browser on any other OS.

Comparatively, Edge and Chrome are very noticibly slower on Windows 10 (Surface Pro 3).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.