Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transistor2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Does anyone know approximately when the first public beta of High Sierra will be available? I heard sometime in June.

Thanks

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Probably next week, when then Developer beta 2 will likely be out.

I personally won't be installing it anything except for maybe an external drive for fun.

Last edited:

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
Be prepared for a rough ride.

The Developer Preview 1 of High Sierra crashes during install on my Late 2009 21.5" iMac. Indications are it is Firmware related. After trying numerous times on a separate partition the result is the same both with APFS and HFC+

Hopefully this issue will be resolved when the Public Beta is released.

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I'm so excited to hear what you guys think of the beta.
It's weird for me since this will be the first beta I miss out on - can't risk anything on this machine.

I installed it on my 2014 mac mini the day it seeded, install took a while and was very slow to login at first. However after first reboot it has been running stable without restart. I have also installed it on my 2010 mac mini and it is running boinc manager for seti@home and einstein@home and has yet to crash in the last week it has been running.

Fairly happy so far, little buggy here and there but not nearly as bad as I had expected.

Reactions: Speechless

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Developer preview 2 on Monday 6/26
Public Beta 1 on Wednesday 6/28
Looks like we now know you are WRONG.:eek::D

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-21%20at%204.06.57%20PM_zpstqylbsok.png

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Now that Apple has released Developer Beta 2, the Public Beta is probably coming next week after a week of testing (had WindowServer crash twice for me on DP1, this has been one of the worst recent first betas in terms of stability because of the re-code for Metal, APFS).

This would also fit the "end of June" time frame.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Now that Apple has released Developer Beta 2, the Public Beta is probably coming next week after a week of testing (had WindowServer crash twice for me on DP1, this has been one of the worst recent first betas in terms of stability because of the re-code for Metal, APFS).

This would also fit the "end of June" time frame.

I haven't had a single crash. I did clean install it though rather than do an upgrade.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I haven't had a single crash. I did clean install it though rather than do an upgrade.
Really? Just now beta 2 froze up for me and it looks like I'll have to hard reboot. I am running it on different hardware from yours, though (Mid 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro with both integrated and dedicated GPUs, the Late 2013 13" only has integrated which makes things a bit simpler).

Lowe Lilliehorn

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
So as we know apple...
Possibility 1:
Now we HOPE we'll see a Public Beta today, or this wek.
But since Developer Beta 2 is laggy, I think it will be released in the first week of July.
I'm not sure.

Possibility 2.

Developer Beta 3 will be released today, or this week. PB1 will be DB3.

Possibility 3.

Apple releases PUBLIC BETA, which is Faster, and better. We will get the Beta 3, after PB1.

I personally don't think the possibility 3.
I think either 2 or 1?

What do you guys think?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
High Sierra beta 2 update 1 is out.

Tomorrow is the last day of June. I wondering if High Sierra beta 2 update 1 will also be released as Public beta 1.

I also wonder why they call it developer beta 2 update 1 instead of just calling it beta 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.