Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Subject title says it all:
When will mirrorless take over DSLR ... and time to sell mirror DSLR equipment??

I've been in this as a hobbyist since 2009, Canon T1i now a Canon 70D.
Did the lens upgrades over the years, now have the 2.8f L 70-200 mkII + 2 TC's, UWA 11-16 lens, and a few others.

I've been ... well lagging using the photo equipment recently, enough that I'm on fence post of selling it all ...
I'm 57, looking at retiring 3-4 years max, then get back into photography for hobbyist fun.

Truly love Photography, but if mirrorless is the way of the future for DSLR is now the leading edge to sell when my gear will get decent $'s, instead of 3-4 years later when the resale will tank??

Thoughts?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
If your DSLR is working well for you, why feel the need to change to mirrorless?

(says the bloke who's just bought a Z 50 ;))

Cheers :)

Hugh

Yea - common sense says if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Heck, I preach that to others.

In this instance, I've been on fencepost going FF for it's lower noise for long exposures, and higher ISO for low-low light.

Plus, the mirrorless lens are truly smaller an lighter, my L f2.8 70-200 is one honking beast!!

So, knowing I'll age gracefully, and I've not had the itch to shoot in 1 year or so ... just being pratical here

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Heh. Please sell your DSLR stuff...some of us need to buy holiday gifts!

But seriously, why sell? Not having a mirror is a nice feature, useful for some purposes, and easier to manufacture, but not that much of a big deal. I've owned mirrorless and mirrored cameras for years and there are differences that I think are even more important like IBIS or video, or even two card slots or weather proofing. The main reason I like mirrorless is the shorter flange distance, hence it's easier to use older adapted lenses. Otherwise it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

So unless there's some big feature in a mirrorless you like, why sell? And I say tha as someone who still buys DSLR lenses and would certainly benefit from panic sales.

• Haha
Reactions: MevetS and mtbdudex

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I remember buying my 1st DSLR I was so excited. Then every year or so I would see a newer camera. After moving to my 3rd camera I think I'm good for now. One main issue is that I haven't fully used my camera. There are so many features I haven't even used. These cameras aren't cheap. Jumping ship just because its mirrorless is not huge for me. Even when I travel, most will say oh those mirrorless are better because its lighter. I would simply use my phone for quick shots and other times my DSLR with a smaller lens.

I'm keeping mine. I still see people using Nikon D200 or D700s years later.

Reactions: AeroSatan

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Yea - common sense says if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Heck, I preach that to others.

In this instance, I've been on fencepost going FF for it's lower noise for long exposures, and higher ISO for low-low light.

Plus, the mirrorless lens are truly smaller an lighter, my L f2.8 70-200 is one honking beast!!

So, knowing I'll age gracefully, and I've not had the itch to shoot in 1 year or so ... just being pratical here
I love my 70-200 f2.8L, yeah it weighs a metric ton but it sure takes beautiful pictures you just pay the price in sore muscles if you have a long shoot. I did consider mirrorless for my last purchase but ended up with the Canon 6D MKII and couldn't be happier, I'm just used to using a DSLR camera.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Canon is having some GREAT sales on the EOS R and EOS RP bodies right now -- VERY low prices. I believe they include the free EF adapter, too.

They're selling the full-frame mirrorless RP for LESS than the new APS-c EOS 90d.

Since you already have at least one full-frame "L" lens, these deals might be worth considering.

The RF mount works with BOTH EF and EF-s lenses (although the latter is in crop mode, but STILL WORKS). You can use everything you now have with them. From user reports, a number of EF lenses actually work BETTER using the EF adpater and RF mount, than they did with the native EF mount.

For pointers to the current low pricing, I suggest visiting dpreview.com and checking out the "R" discussion forum there.

Reactions: mtbdudex

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Might want to rent an R plus a 24-105 for a few days and see how you like it . I rented both an R and RP , plus the 24-105 , plus the EF adapter for a week last June , just to see if either would work to replace my 5D2.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Several years ago I had my first introduction to mirrorless cameras when a friend showed me his Sony NEX-7 and I spent a few minutes handling it and noting the features he helpfully pointed out, including the interesting "focus peaking"...... I loved how small and light the camera body was and also the lens he had on there. The very next week I went out and bought myself a NEX-7 and a few lenses....

Over time I also added the wonderful RX100 series of cameras and eventually the amazing RX10 M4, and liked each of them for their versatility. I found that I was using my Nikon gear less and and less and picking up the NEX-7 more and more, and as time went on, the other cameras, too. When Sony released its A7 III I started thinking in earnest about selling my Nikon gear and just going all-mirrorless, but it wasn't something I was going to jump into immediately; I spent a lot of time waiting and watching and changing my mind from an A7 III to the A7R III and then waiting and watching some more as Nikon announced its new mirrorless Z series with accompanying lenses and an adapter.....

I knew that I did not want to continue having two separate systems and that whatever I did it was going to be mirrorless rather than DSLR, as even a year or so ago I could see the writing on the wall there and felt that buying another DSLR and/or lenses would not be as much of a step into the future as buying mirrorless would be. I took into consideration the kind of shooting I most like to do and the kind of camera body and lenses which would best suit that purpose. I also realized that the longer I dawdled about making a decision the more likely it was that my current lenses and bodies would continue to drop in value. That is definitely a valid concern. Time went on and just as I'd pretty much decided to go with Sony's A7R III rather than with Nikon's Z series, darned if Sony didn't release the A7R IV! So, a little more waiting as the camera was put into the hands of reviewers and eventually regular users as I weighed the pros and cons of buying an A7R III for less money now or going with the definitely-ready-for-now-and-into-the-future A7R IV. Finally one day I made up my mind for sure, packed up my Nikon gear and went to a local camera shop to do some negotiating and trading..... I came home with the Sony A7R IV and three new lenses. :)

All the waiting and watching and thinking about this paid off and I am very pleased with my decision and with my new camera and lenses. I miss my Nikon gear, but to be honest many of the lenses were just sitting in the Pelican case or camera bags unused most of the time, and I tended to reach for only certain lenses over and over again. Many of my lenses were older, too, including some AIS ones, and I am sure that by now they have found new homes and new users who will enjoy them as much as I did in the past.

My thought process in the end boiled down to going with Sony rather than with Nikon mirrorless because I found it disappointing that Nikon was not offering much in the way of native lenses initially, and that there was no native macro lens available, not even on the "roadmap" yet, and that also many of my lenses would only work as manual focus on the FTZ adapter. In my mid-70's I am not getting any younger and my eyes are certainly not getting any younger! I seriously prefer and need autofocus as much as possible, even with focus peaking, although that does help enormously. Aside from that I am not too keen on using adapters anyway -- I much prefer native lenses. Sony offers a good selection of native lenses that will pretty much fit into the kind of shooting I like to do. So that was my particular process.....

I do think that as time goes on more and more people will choose mirrorless over DSLRs, even for the kinds of shooting that up until now were dominated by DSLRs (wildlife, sports, etc.). Unfortunately, although the camera bodies have slimmed down and lost some weight, some of the full-frame lenses now available for mirrorless can be nearly as big and heavy as the ones for a DSLR!

Right now it is hard to predict just when the shift from DSLR to mirrorless will definitely tip predominantly to the side of mirrorless, but I do think that day is coming, and more than likely sooner rather than later. Another thing which is changing in the world of photography and which already is having an impact is the increased use of smart phones for casual snapshots and such, which has put a huge crimp in what used to be a large P&S market but also even to a certain extent affects those who once would've bought perhaps an entry-level DSLR and a lens or two as opposed to a P&S.....Some of those people are opting to use only their smartphone and not bother with carrying and using a "real" camera at all.

It is likely that in the future the only people who purchase and use "real" cameras are going to be those who are genuinely enthusiastic about photography as the wonderful art and craft that it is, or as the very functional documentary/recording of history instrument that it also is..... That is, professionals who need to shoot sports, wildlife, architecture, weddings, maternity/infant/toddler and family portraits, plus serious amateurs/enthusiasts/hobbyists who like to shoot what interests them most and who cannot imagine life without a camera in their hands.

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
^^^ I truly appreciate the time and depth of thought you put into this response

Thank you.
Your mindset and experiences solidifies my direction.
Mike Rosinski

Reactions: Clix Pix

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
I am considering making the jump to Canon mirrorless as well. I don’t feel like Canon is really there yet and my current gear does fine for my needs, so I am holding out with my 60D for the time being.

If you are unfamiliar with the Magic Lantern firmware for Canon cameras, I suggest you try it out. Magic Lantern firmware expands the native capabilities of the camera, adding some focus aids and features from the mirrorless world. I have been using it for years on my 60D. Developers have released a version for the 70D as well.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
^^^ I truly appreciate the time and depth of thought you put into this response

Thank you.
Your mindset and experiences solidifies my direction.
Mike Rosinski

You're welcome! Also I forgot another point which was kind of important for me, and that is that one does not need to calibrate the lenses with most mirrorless cameras; however, it is still often recommended and considered needed with Nikon's new Z series cameras because some of the same type of focusing system that is in its FF DSLRs also is included in the Z series. Yet another point which nudged me towards Sony.....

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
It just depends on what you’re looking for. If you get the results you are looking for in mirrored, then why upset a good thing?

That said, it would seem that mirrorless has become the standard, with all brands now at least offering them at the high/mid end. Personally, I like the live preview of the exposure that mirrorless can do. Maybe it’s cheating, but it helps me get along in manual mode.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I agree with "Not broken? Don't fix.". You also said you are anticipating getting back to it when you retire, and that you are on the fence. I always want to be off the fence before I send a boatload of money. The quality of the products will continue to develop over the next few years. I would use what you have until you are really ready to buy. I doubt it will make a big financial difference to wait to sell.

Reactions: someoldguy

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Subject title says it all:
When will mirrorless take over DSLR ...
It pretty much already has, at least in terms of new development.

... and time to sell mirror DSLR equipment?? ...
"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a good rule, but when you're ready to upgrade and major piece of kit it may well be time to move to mirrorless.

The shift from SLR to Mirrorless is somewhat less of an influence on the value of your old kit as its age, particularly the camera bodies. Lenses do have a longer life on the used market, though only the best lenses do particularily well. Also, the degree to which they can be adapted to newer mirrorless mounts will also influence their value.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
It just depends on what you’re looking for. If you get the results you are looking for in mirrored, then why upset a good thing?

That said, it would seem that mirrorless has become the standard, with all brands now at least offering them at the high/mid end. Personally, I like the live preview of the exposure that mirrorless can do. Maybe it’s cheating, but it helps me get along in manual mode.
It's one feature that is very cool about the mirrorless, I played with it at the store but in the end I've learned to rely so much on the histogram that I have more faith in what the exposure/balance will look like when I open it up on my computer.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
There's no real cognitive dissonance moving to a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera - you still change lenses, you still focus (a few nuances, sure), you still do many of the same things. Mirrorless by itself certainly doesn't mean "better images" (of course). Right now, it mostly means "no mirror" :). It's where manufacturers are heading, for sure, and there are some literal measurable benefits to having a mirrorless setup, such as somewhat lighter weight and some optically really nice lenses that are possible because of the flange distances and other characteristics (I can only speak for Nikon).

At the end of the day though, cameras with and without mirror boxes do great things and are both continuing to evolve, so sit back and enjoy the ride (and go get images!).

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I’m seeing the 70D body alone sell for $350-ish, and if bundled with lens $450-$500
0c7089cc4f5417c48ce173b22c61b4db.jpg

My 70-200 f2.8 L mkii is going for $1.1k or so
7e8533132963967f7f813118d84a8121.jpg

So, if I’m not using them next 3 years the 70D will go to $200’s, feel the L lens still $1k.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
So, if I’m not using them next 3 years the 70D will go to $200’s, feel the L lens still $1k.
L lenses hold their value, they're a great investment and you'll always get top dollar for them if/when you decide to sell.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I have to admit, I'm sort of confused by the OP's train of thought as to when to sell gear. Gear is not and has never been an investment. Sure, if you don't use it or need to trade up, you can sell gear to help fund a new purchase; I imagine all of us have done that at some point. And yes, some pieces hold value better than others (namely lenses). But camera bodies are not known to hold value.

I don't know that I'd look at Camera X (especially if it's my only camera) and try to time the market for selling it as if it's a stock exchange. Barring any damages, that camera will work just as well in three years as it will today. In fact, I am giving my nine year old camera to my son for Christmas and it works just as well now as it did the day I bought it (minus some sensor dust I'm adding to his present ?). To keep this in perspective, my son was TWO when I bought this camera and now he's a middle schooler.

I truly believe people should buy the gear they can afford and will do the job for them. There are a lot of variables for both of those concepts, but attempting to "time the market" is odd to me. ??‍♀️

Last edited:

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Cameras - and it doesn't matter whether they have a mirror box or not - plummet in value the second you drive them off the lot (as it were). I've been wanting to get a 6x4.5 MF kit for some years so I've been saving up for it. But here's the thing: new, 10 years ago, the one I just recently put together cost well north of $45k. Now you can do it for far less than $10k with a nice "kit" lens. The lenses of any system are the most expensive part because they do hold their value nicely. If the person that originally had my kit brand new had hoped it was a good investment, they'd be crying now.

If you want to sell your DSLR, by all means. When you purchase a mirrorless, it will plummet in value soon :). If it's going to be your "last camera" then maybe it doesn't matter, but at the end of the day, it's about having it be a tool that helps you achieve your goals with your images.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Cameras - and it doesn't matter whether they have a mirror box or not - plummet in value the second you drive them off the lot (as it were). I've been wanting to get a 6x4.5 MF kit for some years so I've been saving up for it. But here's the thing: new, 10 years ago, the one I just recently put together cost well north of $45k. Now you can do it for far less than $10k with a nice "kit" lens. The lenses of any system are the most expensive part because they do hold their value nicely. If the person that originally had my kit brand new had hoped it was a good investment, they'd be crying now.

If you want to sell your DSLR, by all means. When you purchase a mirrorless, it will plummet in value soon :). If it's going to be your "last camera" then maybe it doesn't matter, but at the end of the day, it's about having it be a tool that helps you achieve your goals with your images.
^ Agreed. I'm on my third camera body over the last few years but the lenses have withstood the test of time, good glass is where it's at. This is one of the reasons that Apple, no matter how hard they try, will never break the barrier. Never mind the difference in sensors, etc. but without the ability to put a real lens on it you will always be pinned down by this. Of course this level of photography may not be for everyone and I do get that, for a consumer point and shoot it's a wonderful camera.

I was watching old episodes of America's Funniest Home Videos the other day from the late 80s I believe and aside from the obvious difference in quality between VHS and HD today, their ability to take their camcorders and zoom cleanly with optical zoom still out performs the best camera phone today IMO, strictly from an optical perspective that is.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Agreed. Most technology seems to bring this "resale value" mindset. While it's nice to get the most money back to recover some upgrade costs, there is still significant burden on you, the seller, to get that money. Places like eBay are chock-full of flake buyers that buy first and then ask questions after you've shipped. Plus there are seller fees, shipping fees, and paypal charges. When I factor in the hassle and expense of selling on eBay, that lower-than-market quote from B&H with the free shipping sure looks a lot better.

I view selling as a way to clean house of excess and also to put things of good use for their purpose. A lens or body that I would rarely use is better off in the hands of someone else, even if it ultimately is a giveaway. I know some want to keep the spares and backups, but I suppose I'm more of a minimalist. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Mirrors on interchangeable lens cameras are kind of like carburetors were in cars.

They were necessary at the time because there were no alternatives.

Then fuel injection (think "mirrorless") came along.

How many cars use carburetors today?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.