Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basicuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
M2 iPP was released in October 2022 and we still can only purchase the refurbished M1 version. Is this typical? When can we expect the M2 iPP to be available?

Basically, I’m debating between the rumored 2024 12.9 iPad Air and a refurb 2021 12.9 M1 iPP. I know the M1 iPP is available and probably suits my needs but I don’t want to buy that if the M2 iPP is going to be available soonish (the M1 has been available as refurbished since February 2023…).

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, it's typical. For iPads, Apple usually doesn't sell the latest model as refurb until the new one is released.

The mini's an exception since that has longer time between updates.

BimmerM3

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I'm in the same boat. I somewhat impulsively bought a 2021 11 M1 Pro refurbished from Apple. Supposed to come today. For my use case, there will be zero difference between the M1 & M2, but I know this is a dangerous time to buy as the M2 could show up refurbished for the same price in just a few weeks. It'd be easier to have patience if I already had an iPad!

Reactions: muzzy996

basicuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
I did some digging and my best guess is that the M2 iPad Pro will not be available until roughly 3 months after the release of the M3 iPad Pro. I based this off of how long it took Apple to release previous iPad Pro models after the release of a newer model.

• M1 iPad Pro (5th generation): Preorders began on April 30, 2021, and the product was released worldwide on May 21, 2021. iPad Pro (4th generation) subsequently available in the Apple refurbished store on August 9, 2021 (2 months and 3 weeks after release of new model).
  • M2 iPad Pro (6th generation): Announced on October 18, 2022, and was released on October 26, 2022. iPad Pro (5th generation) subsequently available in the Apple refurbished store on February 9, 2023 (3 months and 2 weeks after release of new model).

Last edited:

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I did some digging and my best guess is that the M2 iPad Pro will not be available until roughly 3 months after the release of the M3 iPad Pro. I based this off of how long it took Apple to release previous iPad Pro models after the release of a newer model.

• M1 iPad Pro (5th generation): Preorders began on April 30, 2021, and the product was released worldwide on May 21, 2021. iPad Pro (4th generation) subsequently available in the Apple refurbished store on August 9, 2021 (2 months and 3 weeks after release of new model).
  • M2 iPad Pro (6th generation): Announced on October 18, 2022, and was released on October 26, 2022. iPad Pro (5th generation) subsequently available in the Apple refurbished store on February 9, 2023 (3 months and 2 weeks after release of new model).

Did you do an analysis on the pricing? I saw that the 2018 iPad pros were discounted on the refurb store the day after the M1 iPad was released. I’m curious if the M1 iPad Pro will be similar discounted day after (since it will be 2 generations back).

basicuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
Did you do an analysis on the pricing? I saw that the 2018 iPad pros were discounted on the refurb store the day after the M1 iPad was released. I’m curious if the M1 iPad Pro will be similar discounted day after (since it will be 2 generations back).
I looked for price history on the refurbs but I haven't been able to find a source that tracks it.

It is possible that it is on https://refurb-tracker.com/ but I haven't been able to find it on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.