Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
What do you think the odds are of the Superdrive being a standard feature of Apple's new hardware starting early next year? The iMacs and Powerbooks all have Superdrive now as a standard feature. Do you think we will see it in the new iBooks and Mac Mini's?

Surely Apple can't continue to sell an iBook in the £700 price range that still uses CDRW? I'd be pretty disappointed and a little shocked if it were. :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I would guess that the iBooks and minis will get single layer superdrives as standard pretty soon while the iMacs and Pro line all get double layer.

But on the other hand a really cheap iBook that still has a combo wouldn't be to bad to have either. I know I would get that, and spend my money on HD and RAM instead. How often do you really need to burn a whole DVD while "on the road"? A CD is nice to be able to burn anywhere, but DVDs can wait until I get home to my external double layer LaCie burner (never actually bought anything but single layer media, though... ;)).

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Probably. I'll just be happier if I can get a SuperDrive. And God only knows how Apple always do waht will make me happy. What would make me really happy would be a free, unblemished, still in box iBook. It's gonna happen cause I want it to happen. Watch.

Really, somewhat likely, but you just can't predict what Apple's gonna do. Remember the 160 MB iMac iSight hard drive at the special event in October?

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
I would hope that they would become standard. Especially now that burning DVD's is an everyday thing, like if you want to back up your hard drive for only a couple bucks. BUt with Appkle who knows what they will do.:rolleyes:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I don't think ibooks will get Superdrives until there is a new kind of recordable media for the pro series to have, such as Blu-Ray-R or HD-DVD-R. There has to always be a way for the powerbook to be a step up from the ibook.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
They should become standard especially as they dont cost much more that Combo's nowdays, hopefully by 6 months time all models will include some kind of superdrive,

Shadow

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
By the end of 2006 I think we will see blu-ray in Powermacs, double layer dvd burners in powerbooks and iMacs and single layer dvd burners in iBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.