Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

did your new iPhone 13 Pro Max's weight make it feel like a heavy brick at first?

• YES

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • NO

Votes: 48 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
when you first unboxed your new iPhone 13 Pro Max, did the new phone's weight make it feel like a heavy brick?

that was my first reaction when I came home today with my new iPhone 13 Pro Max 256gb.

when I played with the display units in the Apple Store, compared it to the Pro... I honest didn't feel the Pro Max's weight at the store.

But when I got home and unboxed it, I was like "holy cow, this thing weight like a small brick!"

It's being charged right now and I'll start playing with it in an hour or two...

just hoping that I didn't make a mistake getting this chonky boi.... (I already have a chunky boi... my cat) :(

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
It's a big boy but that 120hz on a larger screen is so nice. I used a 12, non pro last year due to it being light weight. Originally used a 13 Pro, non Max but went for the Max and returned the 13 Pro. I feel like any additional size/weight is so worth it this year for some reason.

I was also interested in the iPad mini 6 but hated the display and had to return it - this helped me move to the Pro Max for video content, etc.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
It's a big boy but that 120hz on a larger screen is so nice. I used a 12, non pro last year due to it being light weight. Originally used a 13 Pro, non Max but went for the Max and returned the 13 Pro. I feel like any additional size/weight is so worth it this year for some reason.

I was also interested in the iPad mini 6 but hated the display and had to return it - this helped me move to the Pro Max for video content, etc.

perhaps I need to go back to the gym.. or do more weightlifting at home... the pandemic has made me a lazy boi, just like my lazy boi cat!

• Wow
Reactions: Shadowbech

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The first time I picked up my Silver 128 GB 13 Pro Max, my first thought, this is a well built phone. I have no issue with the weight, the flat edges or the larger camera lens this year. This phone is a beast, a sports car with insane gas mileage.

Reactions: catean

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
The first time I picked up my Silver 128 GB 13 Pro Max, my first thought, this is a well built phone. I have no issue with the weight, the flat edges or the larger camera lens this year. This phone is a beast, a sports car with insane gas mileage.

Sure. Which sports car do you know of that tries to get heavier every year?

• Angry
Reactions: Bethanie21

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Sure. Which sports car do you know of that tries to get heavier every year?

maybe not every year, but the Corvette gained 200 pounds for model year 2020

in fact, the Corvette gets heavier and heavier every few years.... :)

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
The additional heft was clearly noticeable upon first picking it up vs the weight of my 11 Pro Max, but nothing like going from a Nokia e71 to the E 90.

Lots of folks are whinging about the camera protrusion on the new 13 PM but that doesn't bother me at all. And I got used to the extra few grams of mass pretty quickly.

Ynk

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
I used mine for a week and then returned it for a 13 Pro, the weight was just a bit too awkward for me.

lionofthesouth

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Xs max to 13 pro max. Can’t say it was that noticeable. I think the extra weight is slightly more than a AA battery.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
I upgraded from iPhone 12 Pro to iPhone 13 Pro Max and the weight was very noticeable in the beginning. But after two weeks with the Max the screen really makes up for the weight. Weight is really no problem after you've gotten used to it. At least not for me.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010

yes I hated the iPad mini 6 display too, very big disappointment! sent it back..

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Can’t say I noticed the weight. It really doesn’t bother me, actually makes the phone feel more premium to me. Some people on here love to moan about the weight (and it’s the same couple of members every time ?).

I've only had it for a day and half.... Have tried two different cases, one of which is my usual favorite, the Otterbox Defender. I'm not going to try, of course, but I dont' think even a beefy case like the Otterbox can save the 13 Pro Max if it's ever dropped from anything over 5 feet. There's just too much weight.(with or without the case) :(

I forgot the numbers... but pretty sure the 13 Pro Max is the heaviest iPhone ever built by Apple? (but correct me if I'm wrong) :(

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Can’t say I noticed the weight. It really doesn’t bother me, actually makes the phone feel more premium to me. Some people on here love to moan about the weight (and it’s the same couple of members every time ?).
Agree, thanks to the extra thickness and weight, the 13 pro max has left the competition for dead, when it comes to battery life.

People were complaining last year that the 12/12 pro and mini had terrible battery life, apple fixed the problem by making these phones a tad thicker and slightly heavier, people are still complaining even when they’re getting great battery life. ?‍♂️

Reactions: Bethanie21

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I've only had it for a day and half.... Have tried two different cases, one of which is my usual favorite, the Otterbox Defender. I'm not going to try, of course, but I dont' think even a beefy case like the Otterbox can save the 13 Pro Max if it's ever dropped from anything over 5 feet. There's just too much weight.(with or without the case) :(

I forgot the numbers... but pretty sure the 13 Pro Max is the heaviest iPhone ever built by Apple? (but correct me if I'm wrong) :(
I had the 12 pro max last year and now the 13 pro max, I can’t even tell that the 13 pro max is thicker and heavier. Not noticeable at all.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Agree, thanks to the extra thickness and weight, the 13 pro max has left the competition for dead, when it comes to battery life.

People were complaining last year that the 12/12 pro and mini had terrible battery life, apple fixed the problem by making these phones a tad thicker and slightly heavier, people are still complaining even when they’re getting great battery life. ?‍♂️

If I have to find something to complain about, it's that the 13 Pro Max's battery life is tooooo loooong! It's going to take some time to adjust to leaving the phone alone and not try to charge it every single night! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.