Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
In MacOS13, what happened to the settings below for Desktop pictures? Do they exist anymore?

Desktop:

Fill Screen
Fit to Screen
Stretch to Fill Screen
Center

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
No

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 5.23.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 5.23.15 PM.png
    369.8 KB · Views: 93

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
uh.

under desktop images, select an image. you'll see that 'auto-rotate' is one of the choices. choose another one, and you're in business.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
There is no heading "Desktop Images" in my Ventura. If you are trying to help me, you must direct me using correct terms and locations. You told me to find a heading "desktop images", where the heck are you looking? Send me a screen shot of the place you are pointing me to go.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
You need to explain how to "turn off auto rotate."
I have not seen yet :
Desktop:

Fill Screen
Fit to Screen
Stretch to Fill Screen
Center

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ah, i named my folder (with images for the desktop) "desktop pics"!

system settings>wallpaper>whatever category is at the bottom, IF you've pointed to a folder of images. either way, i'm seeing 'auto-rotate' under colors, in that window.

just select something else. pick an image, any image, and the options you want will be there.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
fisherking: Ok, great, I understand now how to get the "Fit to Screen, etc." to show by SELECTING ONE PHOTO in the folder I added. Thank you very much for your patience.

But the last question I have is, how do I get the iMac to reveal one desktop photo one at a time on the desktop from that folder. Before Ventura I could get a new photo on the desktop every 5 sec's. I hate being stuck w one desktop photo. I have 64GB RAM, why can't I use multiple (one at a time)?

SOLUTION: Its all on the System Settings/WALLPAPER/ menu.
1. Either add the folder of desktop images, OR select one of the images in the folder.
2. With one image selected from the folder of desktop images, look UNDER the computer image "Built in Display" at top.
3. On the right, select one of the settings for the one photo you selected, I picked Fit to Screen.
4. To get the desktop photos in your folder to change, click the logo on the left of the selected photo "Auto-Rotate".
5. Look UP under the computer image "Built in Display" to set the time sequence of the rotated photos displayed and if random or in order.

It used to be so damn simple to do this. Not anymore

Last edited:

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
It's now called Wallpapers, because the desktop is a wall, or is it a stage? The wall behind the stage? Where's the desk? Don't think Apple knows anymore.

But anyway it's called Wallpapers.

Reactions: Tunji99

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
^ Only just realised this, it's the end of an era, the Mac has had "desktop pictures" since forever.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It's now called Wallpapers, because the desktop is a wall, or is it a stage? The wall behind the stage? Where's the desk? Don't think Apple knows anymore.

But anyway it's called Wallpapers.
the concept of wallpapers has been around for a looooong time. google "desktop wallpaper"; there are a million sites about 'wallpapers' for your desktop.

so, really, apple has been behind the times on this, and is now, finally, catching up.

is anyone really confused about this? 🤔

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
the concept of wallpapers has been around for a looooong time. google "desktop wallpaper"; there are a million sites about 'wallpapers' for your desktop.

so, really, apple has been behind the times on this, and is now, finally, catching up.

is anyone really confused about this? 🤔

Well, Apple had "desktop pictures" before Windows even had a desktop. Windows '95 tried to look like less of a copycat by tweaking some of the terminology, hence "wallpaper".

(And had a Start menu in the bottom left instead of Apple menu in the top left!)

Apple stuck to its guns with the "desktop picture" nomenclature - until now. But it's obviously a reverse takeover by iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.