Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I have just started to work again with a 2009 Mac Mini, running El Capitan (the best it can do)

The Hard Drive is 319GB capacity, and according to the Get Info, I have used 286GB.

When I open the HD in finder, the top level folders are Applications, Library, System, and Users. The sizes of those folders are, respectively: 24GB, 14GB, 10GB and 182GB. That makes a total of 230GB.

But there are 286GB used on the Hard Drive.

So where are those other 58GB?

I've run CleanMyMac and deleted as much junk as I can, but even junk takes space, so I'm flummoxed.

(The Storage info on 'About this mac' says 154GB Other, 51GB Apps, 43GB Movies, 36GB Audio, and 2GB Photos, which is not right, but at least it adds up to 286GB. (I've rebuilt the Spotlight database).

I've also run OmniDiskSweeper and Disk Inventory. They come up with different numbers but still have about 58GB unaccounted for. I'm running WhatSize now, but it's taking a while.

So somewhere on my mac, there are 58GB of files that are invisible and probably useless, so how can I find them and get rid of them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.