Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Mac and Apple friends.

Where can I find the complete manual for the Z Shell which seems to be a an upgrade shell of Bash.
Is there a built-in manula inside the shell itself that I can type in macOS's Terminal? If so, what is the command?

I've used
Code:
sudo mount -t hfs /dev/disk2 /Volumes/usb
to force mount an external USB flashdrive but it may not be HFS, it could be exFat or Fat32 or NTFS, I can't rememeber.

The flashdrive is only detected by System Information as disk2 but it won't show in Diskutil list, nor in the Disk Utility app. I need to force it in the usb Volume that I made.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
You can type man zsh to get a list of other man pages related to zsh.
Or type zsh in the Terminal.app, right click the work and select "Open man Page". You can right click anything in the man page to show more man pages.
The zshall man page combines all the man pages into one.

Reactions: Alvin777

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
commands like "sudo" or "mount" are executables that are usually started through a shell like bash or zsh. But the shell has nothing to do with the syntax of commands or what commands are available.

you want to type "man mount" to get a manual for the mount command

type "echo $PATH" to get the list of directorys where your shell looks for commands
type "which mount" or "type mount" to get the info where the mount command is located which is started by typing mount.

Reactions: Alvin777 and Nermal

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello Mac and Apple friends.

Where can I find the complete manual for the Z Shell which seems to be a an upgrade shell of Bash.
Is there a built-in manula inside the shell itself that I can type in macOS's Terminal? If so, what is the command?

I've used
Code:
to force mount an external USB flashdrive but it may not be HFS, it could be exFat or Fat32 or NTFS, I can't rememeber.

The flashdrive is only detected by System Information as disk2 but it won't show in Diskutil list, nor in the Disk Utility app. I need to force it in the usb Volume that I made.

Thank you.

God bless.
If the drive was really formatted HFS or EXFAT, macOS would have mounted the drive when you plugged it in. I am unsure if macOS would auto mount a NTFS formatted drive. Try the various mount types and see if any of them will mount your flash drive:

Code:
sudo mount -t exfat /dev/disk2 /Volumes/usb
sudo mount -t rtfs /dev/disk2 /Volumes/usb

Reactions: Alvin777

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The OP already stated that the flash drive they want to mount does not show up in disk utility. Your script uses disk utility to determine information about the device.
If it doesn't appear as a block device then nothing can be mounted from it.
My commands should be able to check a block device even if it has no partitions - it will dump the contents of the first block which could help determine what it is.
First, check how the USB device appears in the IORegistry.
The following will get all USB info:
ioreg -r -c AppleUSBHostController -filw0 > ioreg_allusb.txt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.