Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
In the coronavirus lock-down times, I'm getting quite a lot of PDFs and Word documents sent to me as attachments to Whatsapp messages. When I click on them - using my iPad - I'm told they are downloaded but I can't find them anywhere? I've got the Word and Adobe Acrobat apps for iPad but that doesn't seem to help.

Where are these files stored on my iPad and how can I reconfigure the settings so that (a) i can find them quickly or, better still (b) they open immediately when I click on them?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I don't have WhatsApp app so my idea is most probably stupid but still. With Files app check the folders on the iPad storage. Usually there is folder for every app that comes with downloaded files. So check if there is such folder (Whatsapp).

Also check in Settings/Whatsapp if there is setting about the destination where such files should be stored. It might give you some insights.

And lastly check the Downloads folder in the iPad storage level.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
In the coronavirus lock-down times, I'm getting quite a lot of PDFs and Word documents sent to me as attachments to Whatsapp messages. When I click on them - using my iPad - I'm told they are downloaded but I can't find them anywhere? I've got the Word and Adobe Acrobat apps for iPad but that doesn't seem to help.

Where are these files stored on my iPad and how can I reconfigure the settings so that (a) i can find them quickly or, better still (b) they open immediately when I click on them?
WhatsApp might be telling you a false positive. After all, I don't remember it being optimized for iPadOS.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Is there a way to convince everyone to use a more professional app (like Slack, or MS Teams)? I do not use WA, but my wife does and I think there is a list of "files received" inside the app. I'll ask her and get back to you on this.

EDIT: She says within WA, in the conversation with the person, there is a list of sent files. Otherwise there is no way to see them

Last edited:
Reactions: secretk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.