Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Hi all, Ive been looking for an iMac, or an iBook, Mac Mini, any PowerPc Apple Computer for free and no luck. I’ve contacted eWaste places.. tried Facebook, Craigslist, Letgo, Offerup, Freecycle, and now I am frustrated from looking OVER a year. I am in the Southern California area, where can I find an older free Apple computer or laptop? Even if anyone has a broken one, I will take it. I’m a student, I recently bought many parts for these, and can’t wait to fix one, but no luck finding one. I have a pasaion for coding and fixing computers, as I have fixed every computer, phone, apple tv, dvd drive, in our house.. Just bummed I can’t find a free anything! Ive seen many people finding free ones.. Ugh!

I can’t find ANY free PowerPc or even ANY APPLE COMPUTER for free! Ah! Where else should I look? Any tips? Goodwill? Salvation army? Dumpster? I’m specifically looking for an iMac G3..

Thanks so much! Appreciate all the help. o_O

Last edited:

longboarder

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Bruh, just pay like 20 bucks for one. my g3 imac cost me 75 and while that was hefty it was worth it in the end

Reactions: alex_free

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
if you give people some money first, they’ll often let you have it for free. I do this all the time on eBay.

Hm.. Well I can’t find an $20 computer.. I’ve been looking every day. I did come across one $20 iMac G3 in Florida and they would not ship. I’ll keep looking..

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Where are you located? I’m at the point of get done stuff out of here, but am not terribly inclined to ship now.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Sorry, a lot further than I can do.

That’s okay. I appreciate your kindness though. I’ll keep looking again.. Actually, today i’m picking up this beefed up tower, the specs are so crazy I can’t even say, but maybe I can install OS X on it or always try Pear PC. Thank u!!

bd129

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
I've a semi-dead 1.5Ghz Powerbook you could have - it's in Britain though, and I'm not looking likely to be Stateside soon.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Why specifically an iMac G3, if I may ask? You can get much better performance, expansion, and compatibility (oftentimes plus lower prices) with newer models.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Why specifically an iMac G3, if I may ask? You can get much better performance, expansion, and compatibility (oftentimes plus lower prices) with newer models.

True. The reason I do is because of the colors, the lower price, and the design. I did find an iMac for $15 in my area! Seeing if he can go down to $10.
[automerge]1591671725[/automerge]
True. The reason I do is because of the colors, the lower price, and the design. I did find an iMac for $15 in my area! Seeing if he can go down to $10.

Oh my gosh. I just got an iMac G3 for $10. Also there is an iBook G3 Clamshell for $16 if you want the link.. seller is rude though and takes forever to respond. This is on the app LetGo. It’s an app where you offer, a lot of negotiating. Some people on there are scams, but if you know what you are looking for, you can find great stuff off there..

PS I have gotten a full PC setup for free off Letgo.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

$15 is cheap for an iMac G3. If it were me and a color/spec I wanted, I'd grab it and run.

BTW, I have gotten a few iMacs for the cost of shipping, but that's not inexpensive. Most recently it was a really nice, one owner, all original Tangerine tray loader. Shipping was nearly $100.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
[automerge]1591671725[/automerge]

Oh my gosh. I just got an iMac G3 for $10. Also there is an iBook G3 Clamshell for $16 if you want the link.. seller is rude though and takes forever to respond. This is on the app LetGo.
$15 is cheap for an iMac G3. If it were me and a color/spec I wanted, I'd grab it and run.

BTW, I have gotten a few iMacs for the cost of shipping, but that's not inexpensive. Most recently it was a really nice, one owner, all original Tangerine tray loader. Shipping was nearly $100.

I got jinxed. Today I picked up two free MacBooks, one Silver from about 2009 doesn’t turn on, and a 2007 MacBook Polycarbonate working (updating it to Lion rn), and a non working iBook G3 with a replaced optical drive. Wow..

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I run Mountain Lion on my late '07 BlackBook. It gives a bit better software compatibility(including iMessage) and runs decently at least with an SSD. I did toss a cheap SSD in it, which helped.

The Aluminum Macbooks tend to be pretty reliable in my experience, aside from the one I have with the flaky Wifi/BT module or possibly the cable that randomly either won't work on booting or will drop the module and KP. One is a lot more expensive than the other(the cable, IIRC, which is what I really suspect) and it's a royal pain to access since it's in the hinge.

If by chance what you have is a MacBook Pro, there's a known problematic capacitor on one of the main power rails that can wreak havoc. I have two late '08 15"(MBP 5,1) and one worked when I bought it but died. The other works fine but I baby it. I need to order the caps and replace both.

Reactions: christiann

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
I run Mountain Lion on my late '07 BlackBook. It gives a bit better software compatibility(including iMessage) and runs decently at least with an SSD. I did toss a cheap SSD in it, which helped.

The Aluminum Macbooks tend to be pretty reliable in my experience, aside from the one I have with the flaky Wifi/BT module or possibly the cable that randomly either won't work on booting or will drop the module and KP. One is a lot more expensive than the other(the cable, IIRC, which is what I really suspect) and it's a royal pain to access since it's in the hinge.

If by chance what you have is a MacBook Pro, there's a known problematic capacitor on one of the main power rails that can wreak havoc. I have two late '08 15"(MBP 5,1) and one worked when I bought it but died. The other works fine but I baby it. I need to order the caps and replace both.

Ah, thanks! I think I have the late 2006 one.. but yes white. Updated the white one to Lion.. but yes it’s a plain Macbook.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Several times I've been to purchase a medium-priced or very cheap Mac, and once the deal completed I've asked the seller if they should have any other Mac available - even a 'dead' one. I've forgotten the number of times this has worked to my advantage with the seller offering to donate a non-functioning iBook, PowerBook or similar. I was even given a 1GHz TiBook with two broken hinges, the screen laid down flat when opened - but otherwise the PowerBook functioned correctly. Still have it, and never did fix that screen, as I attempted it once (and failed) with a similar Gigabit Ethernet model and said - never again!
Looks like the OP has found a few to keep him busy. I have a few I could donate, namely iMac G3's and black (non-functioning) MacBooks but for collection only. I'd even throw in a delicious croissant or chocolatine. The catch? I'm in SW France, so if ever anyone is driving through...........;)

Reactions: christiann

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Several times I've been to purchase a medium-priced or very cheap Mac, and once the deal completed I've asked the seller if they should have any other Mac available - even a 'dead' one. I've forgotten the number of times this has worked to my advantage with the seller offering to donate a non-functioning iBook, PowerBook or similar. I was even given a 1GHz TiBook with two broken hinges, the screen laid down flat when opened - but otherwise the PowerBook functioned correctly. Still have it, and never did fix that screen, as I attempted it once (and failed) with a similar Gigabit Ethernet model and said - never again!
Looks like the OP has found a few to keep him busy. I have a few I could donate, namely iMac G3's and black (non-functioning) MacBooks but for collection only. I'd even throw in a delicious croissant or chocolatine. The catch? I'm in SW France, so if ever anyone is driving through...........;)

Haha, yes, these computers are keeping me very busy. But don’t worry, I’m happy with my free computers and the $10 iMac G3!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.