Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have an iPhone 7 I bought more than 2 years ago. I dropped it lightly soon after I bought it, and this resulted in a hairline crack on the main display glass.

If you see the picture here, it seems that the crack is in the screen protector (I put it after the breakage) but it is in fact the phone's display.

On the Apple website I see them offering up to $100 for the 7. However, the value goes down drastically when I indicate that there may be screen damage.

Can I get a decent price for this old phone with another seller? It's been lightly used and is otherwise in great condition (battery health is 95%).

Thanks!

Attachments

• tempImageSFj2bY.png
    tempImageSFj2bY.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 67

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Unfortunately screen damage is screen damage to all of the trade in places and that one crack lowers the value as much as a completely shattered screen. Your best bet is probably a private sale through Craigslist or swappa or something. You’ll likely find someone who‘s willing to pay more than the trade in places, but it will still be much less than you would get for an undamaged iphone 7.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Sometimes it is better to have it fixed and then resell it.
Yes, but the cost of replacing the entire display will be prohibitive at this point.

I guess I am just inclined towards looking for a slightly better price on Swappa.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
$150 is the tops honestly. 7 is old and most can get a much newer phone for cheap these days.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Unfortunately screen damage is screen damage to all of the trade in places and that one crack lowers the value as much as a completely shattered screen. Your best bet is probably a private sale through Craigslist or swappa or something. You’ll likely find someone who‘s willing to pay more than the trade in places, but it will still be much less than you would get for an undamaged iphone 7.

This would be my advice as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.