Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
I'm on Amazon looking for el cheapo watch band for my Apple Watch 8 Ultra and saw some guy posted a review of the band.

I noticed he had an orange bezel on his Ultra watch.

Is this something that comes stock from the factory or is it aftermarket?

w.png

toughkitty5

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
I went to aliexpress . com and searched "apple watch ultra bezel" and got many hits and they were cheap as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240112-205435.png
    Screenshot_20240112-205435.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: chabig and Kaszebe

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
Thanks. I did the same search on Google but didn't find much.

Ok, so it's an aftermarket thingy not an official Apple product.

Thanks!

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
I found one on Amazon. Ali takes too long to ship IMO.

I'm a bit suspicious of it because Apple is known for the minutiae with regards to design and detail. I'm concerned a $16.99 screen protector with an alleged orange metal rim is going to mesh well with my Apple Watch Ultra.

But the reviews on Amazon complimented the look. So, I figured I'd buy one and if I don't like it, I will return it.

If you want, I can take pictures of it once I install it and post it to this thread?

I won't link to the Amazon page because I'm unsure if that's against the terms of this forum and I don't want to be shilling for other companies for free lol.

Reactions: outlawarth

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
So in case anyone cares....the $16 bezel and blue aftermarket nylon band came today.

For starters, there were no installation instructions. There was a QR code printed on the back of the box with Chinglish instructions to scan it with your phone and that will take you to a landing page with an embedded 20 second YouTube video that seems like the guy who used to produce the sped-up Benny Hill chase scenes worked on. I was halfway expecting Yackety Sax to start playing with a guy in a gorilla suit chasing ten 20-year old women in bikinis around the factory in China.

However, the installation video was obviously not for the product they sold me and it was apparent that they didn't check.

I somehow managed to figure it out and somehow managed to not screw up the installation. There were a few bubbles but I somehow managed to get them out.

Long story short—It looks halfway decent and the orange rim is some sort of a metal. Touchscreen seems to work just fine.

I can recommend this product but only if you find another seller. The one on Amazon had zero instructions and it was a fluke that I got it right. I'm guessing the reviews on there are majority faked because it was not an easy install.

Looking at the quality...unless you knew better, you'd have a hard time telling this was aftermarket. The metal rim snapped right on. And I cannot tell that there is a thin glass screen protector installed. It has a real OEM look.

However, I'm guessing one factory in China manufacturers them and people buy them up and resell them under their own brand names.

All in all...even though orange isn't my color, I have been rocking the Apple Watch 8 Ultra since it first came out and this is a sorely-needed change of scenery for me. Even the el cheapo blue (fabric) nylon watch band looks pretty good.

It's flashy without being gaudy, if that makes sense.

And NO do not private message me on here. I'm still pissed off these morons on Amazon who sold this orange bezel screen protector didn't include proper installation instructions. I REFUSE to give them anymore business. I'm certain you can find other people selling the same thing.

Reactions: outlawarth
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.