Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I don't have an iPhone so don't have the iOS app, only a new MBP. I understand all new iPhones/Macbooks/Macs have 1 year of Apple TV+ included.

I have the Apple TV+ app, and I can watch shows, but when I open it I can't find anywhere that mentions how long my subscription is.

I've gone onto tv.apple.com and signed in, but when I scroll down in the account settings to Subscription it just says "Subscriptions - Apple TV+ Subscribe" with no mention of a free 1 year.

I haven't signed up to a 7 day free trial either.

So...

1. How am I supposed to view what my subscription status is? I want to confirm I have the free 1 year but see no mention of it anywhere on my account on either the app or website.

2. How can I be viewing shows without a subscription?

Thanks

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Do you have Apple Music Student? If so, TV+ is included with Apple Music Student. I purchased an iPhone 11, but on Nov. 1, I could start watching immediately without activating my trial because of Apple Music. It wasn't until a few days later that I got a pop-up on my iPhone about the 1-year subscription.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
if you have the latest macOS update you should have the Apple TV app installed. Open it and you should see it pretty much see the TV+ tile right away. If you don't have the newest Catalina version then you will not have the TV app at all.

EDIT: never mind I reread your OP. I just literally woke up.
[automerge]1573399007[/automerge]
Do you have Apple Music Student? If so, TV+ is included with Apple Music Student. I purchased an iPhone 11, but on Nov. 1, I could start watching immediately without activating my trial because of Apple Music. It wasn't until a few days later that I got a pop-up on my iPhone about the 1-year subscription.
I just wanted to add that while I don’t have a student Apple Music subscription the TV+ tile on my iPhone just said 7 day free trial. It wasn’t until I tapped on it that I saw the one year trial offer.

Last edited:

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Nope I don't have Apple Music Student.

All I have is a brand new MBP (bought Friday), no other Apple devices.

If I open the Apple TV+ app it has all the show tiles. If I go to my account details on the app it doesn't mention any subscriptions or prompts.

If I go to tv.apple.com and log in, it asks me to sign in and only offers a 7 day free trial. If I go to my account settings on there it just again asks me to subscribe. When I click subscribe it just again has the 7 day free trial (plus normal monthly sign up payment).

I've followed the steps on the Apple website re activating the 1 year free and I don't get any pop ups/prompts for the 1 year at all (either via the desktop app or the website).

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Let’s try to clear up some confusion (Thanks, Apple). The name of the app you use on your MBP is TV. The streaming Channel is TV+ and it is available through the TV app.

To subscribe, open the TV app and scroll down to where it says “Available Apple TV Channels” and select the round icon for Apple TV+. In the following screen, if you are eligible for the free year it will show you. All you have to do is select the banner to subscribe and you will be subscribed. It’s that simple.

Once you are subscribed you will be able to view your subscription status in your iTunes Store account.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Okay so I figured out where I was going wrong.

I didn't know you have to have a payment method on file/stored on your account before the 1 year free is active.

Spent an hour on the phone with Apple support. I still wasn't getting the free 1 year prompt, so they gave me a redeemable voucher code. When it still didn't show, we all realised it was because I didn't have a card on file. Once I added a card, I entered the redeemable voucher code again and it activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.