Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
If I look up Iphone specs, I just get a number of MP. Where do find a number like "1920x1080" so I know the real size of the sensor? Obviously some of the ratios I can select are just cropping off the ends. What is the full size of the sensor on the various Iphones?

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
If I look up Iphone specs, I just get a number of MP. Where do find a number like "1920x1080" so I know the real size of the sensor? Obviously some of the ratios I can select are just cropping off the ends. What is the full size of the sensor on the various Iphones?
1671697998359.png
take a photo and press this button , it will show the camera specs

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
But I want the specs of a phone I haven't bought yet. I can't make a choice without knowing what the camera is.

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Yikes! Still 12MP? No point in changing then. I'm sure someone else must make a higher MP than that by now.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
well the iPhone 14 pro / pro max has a resolution of 8064x6048 at 48mp. Otherwise you have 4032x3024 at 12mp. The halide app will allow 48mp jpeg or heif files without using ProRaw. So will the Pro Camera app.

Reactions: HunterBD

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
48MP sounds decent. I went to a review site and they claimed the best Iphone was 16MP, I can't remember the model but it was £1200. £1200 is a lot for only 16MP. I'm going to have to switch to the Samsung at only £800 with a 108MP camera. Apple ain't keeping up.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Do a search on the megapixel myth. What matters most for cameras is the sensor size. Cramming in too many more megapixels onto the same sizes sensor is a recipe for disaster.

The other key factor in camera quality is the AI or processing smarts behind the photography.

That’s where strides have been made in phones over time. The addition of Night Mode, e.g., was a biggie.

You should focus on camera reviews where users or tech writers compare the photos from different phones. Such image-to-image comparisons under the same conditions are immensely helpful.

In the end, it's about the quality of the photos, not the specs, especially not the MP count, that matters.

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
I admit there are cameras which overstate their pixels. I have an Ebay Chinese "4K" video camera for £20. I bought it because it's completely waterproof and I take it scuba diving. But I'd say it's a poor image even shrunk to HD. However any camera from a decent make like Canon or Samsung is usually perfect at the full resolution. And I can always shrink that 108MP if I want it even sharper. I've got a Fujifilm camera claiming 10MP I would actually rate at about 2.5MP, although from discussions on forums it seems Fujifilm has got their act together and recent cameras are more what they say on the tin. My Fujifilm camera is 10 years old.

HunterBD

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Not disclosed
well the iPhone 14 pro / pro max has a resolution of 8064x6048 at 48mp. Otherwise you have 4032x3024 at 12mp. The halide app will allow 48mp jpeg or heif files without using ProRaw. So will the Pro Camera app.
Hello ToddH
I now have an iPhone 14 Pro but the photos I've reviewed are 4032 x 3024
Is there some setting I need to adjust/alter to get 8064 x 6048?
Thanks for any advice.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
48MP sounds decent. I went to a review site and they claimed the best Iphone was 16MP, I can't remember the model but it was £1200. £1200 is a lot for only 16MP. I'm going to have to switch to the Samsung at only £800 with a 108MP camera. Apple ain't keeping up.
There is no iphone with 16MP. All 12MP except of the 14 Pros with 48MP.

all sensors are 4:3 the actual pixel resolution already mentioned above.

Last edited:

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
There is no iphone with 16MP. All 12MP except of the 14 Pros with 48MP.

all sensors are 4:3 the actual pixel resolution already mentioned above.
I meant 12, I was only out by 4:3 :)

Google is your friend:)

(titter) "We have been using higher megapixel sensors like 48MP, 64MP, and 108MP on Android for a while"

So er.... shouldn't it just be a matter of selecting the resolution while using the camera, like any other camera or phone? They hid away their best feature!

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

(titter) "We have been using higher megapixel sensors like 48MP, 64MP, and 108MP on Android for a while"

So er.... shouldn't it just be a matter of selecting the resolution while using the camera, like any other camera or phone? They hid away their best feature!
well yes it could be easier as they do with video quality selection. I guess the philosophy behind is that Apple doesnt want to "spam" the storage with unnecessary blown up picture size.
on the iphone display you hardly see any difference if you dont zoom in.

in case you digitally zoom (crop) while taking pics, the 48MP are used anyway regardless of the before mentioned settings.

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
well yes it could be easier as they do with video quality selection. I guess the philosophy behind is that Apple doesnt want to "spam" the storage with unnecessary blown up picture size.
on the iphone display you hardly see any difference if you dont zoom in.

in case you digitally zoom (crop) while taking pics, the 48MP are used anyway regardless of the before mentioned settings.
The storage space on phones nowadays is astronomical. It's not gonna fill up with still images. And if you're a keen photographer, you want the higher res anyway, and you'd have bought an SD card for the phone anyway.

HunterBD

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Not disclosed

Ha!

It's easy - when you know how! 😊 But first, someone (!) has to give you a 'heads up'.

I'm looking forward to experimenting in the months ahead. Spring flowers are my favourite subjects.

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Ha!

It's easy - when you know how! 😊 But first, someone (!) has to give you a 'heads up'.

I'm looking forward to experimenting in the months ahead. Spring flowers are my favourite subjects.
Do show some examples, here or privately. I want to see how much pixels they're really worth.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Hello ToddH
I now have an iPhone 14 Pro but the photos I've reviewed are 4032 x 3024
Is there some setting I need to adjust/alter to get 8064 x 6048?
Thanks for any advice.
Yeah. Do you have Halide or Pro Camera to use with jpeg or HEIC? Otherwise the only way to get the 48mp resolution from the default camera is to use ProRAW. If you want ProRAW, then go to settings, down to camera, select formats, then turn ProRAW on. Then you’ll have to edit that raw file to save as a jpeg.

As for Halide, (if ProRAW isn’t what you want) you enter the settings and go to capture and scroll down and select 48mp and HEIC or jpeg. From there Halide will take photos in 48mp resolution. This is the only way to get the 48mp outside of the default camera.

sunnyrio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Like all cameras nowadays, you don't get the MP on the tin. The only camera I've ever had that gave you the real MP was a Canon EOS 10D (6MP) DSLR. Cameras nowadays, viewing at 100% (one photo pixel to one monitor pixel) it doesn't look as sharp as 50%. Did the EOS 10D have a 24MP sensor and bin pixels? Did it have an astronomically good lens? I don't know. But my Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd compact camera (if that's the right word, it has a real 10x optical zoom) claims 6MP, but like the Iphone it's worth a quarter of that, 1.5MP.

Even more strangely, the 48MP and the 12MP shots HunterBD sent me both have this problem, they don't look clear at 100%. It seems the only way to get a sharp picture is to use 4x the pixels you need, then view it smaller, not let the camera do it. I have no explanation as to why this happens.

Last edited:

HunterBD

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Not disclosed
Yeah. Do you have Halide or Pro Camera to use with jpeg or HEIC? Otherwise the only way to get the 48mp resolution from the default camera is to use ProRAW. If you want ProRAW, then go to settings, down to camera, select formats, then turn ProRAW on. Then you’ll have to edit that raw file to save as a jpeg.

As for Halide, (if ProRAW isn’t what you want) you enter the settings and go to capture and scroll down and select 48mp and HEIC or jpeg. From there Halide will take photos in 48mp resolution. This is the only way to get the 48mp outside of the default camera.
Hi ToddH
My apologies for the delay in responding to you. It has been a busy time and I've also been fending off a nasty cold.
I have more work to do investigating Halide and ProCamera - facilities with which I was unaware. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I look forward to experimenting over the weeks and months ahead.

Reactions: ToddH

HunterBD

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Not disclosed
I've made a test photo or two which have come out well, but it appears that they are too big to show them to you here.
8064 × 6048 76.4 MB The quality (to me) is outstanding. When magnified on my 27in iMac screen, the detail is just amazing.

Reactions: ToddH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.