Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leddedup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
I'm new to the Mac, and I need to have an X-windows emulator so that I can use hspice on the Stanford cluster. Searching google, I see that Apple offers a free emulator called X11, yet they don't appear to have it on their site anymore. What gives? Where can I go to find an emulator.

Cheers,
Jake

Last edited:

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
by the way, it is not an emulator, it is a window server that runs natively on max osx as it is based on unix

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
X11 should be on your installation CD/DVD. It's an optional package when you install; can't remember if you can install it separately or not after the fact.

--Eric

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Eric5h5 said:
X11 should be on your installation CD/DVD. It's an optional package when you install; can't remember if you can install it separately or not after the fact.

--Eric

On recent macs I believe that installing X11 is an option during the OS X install. A previous poster provided a link to the stand-alone installer.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
You can install X11 separately after the fact. Its considered an extra, and you should be able to find the installer package on one of the MacOS X installation CDs/DVD

wala

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
The X11 on Apple's Downloads site only works with Panther... if you have tiger, you need your installation CDs. I think X11 is on the first one, under something like "Optional Installs"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.