Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mds1256

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Hi

I am pretty good at coding apps but terrible at design, does anyone have any decent websites where I can buy templates from?

I have looked at 99designs for design contests but they are expensive, anyone got any suggestions on where I can get a decent design template for a reasonable cost?

Thanks

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have looked at 99designs for design contests but they are expensive, anyone got any suggestions on where I can get a decent design template for a reasonable cost?

If you want to make something more serious, I recommend not just buying a template or anything like that, but instead getting in contact with an actual designer and hiring said person to do the design work specifically for your app. Looking identical to 500 other apps isn't really a good thing. You want to be a standout and the way to do that is by having a sense of style that is yours. Not necessarily exaggerated, and following standards works fine, but it needs to be clearly identifiable what app we're looking at just by seeing it quickly

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
If you want to make something more serious, I recommend not just buying a template or anything like that, but instead getting in contact with an actual designer and hiring said person to do the design work specifically for your app. Looking identical to 500 other apps isn't really a good thing. You want to be a standout and the way to do that is by having a sense of style that is yours. Not necessarily exaggerated, and following standards works fine, but it needs to be clearly identifiable what app we're looking at just by seeing it quickly
Totally agreed. A good designer is invaluable. The apps I build using designs from experienced designers always look 100x better than the apps I come up with just by myself. You wouldn't expect a designer to be able to come up with a highly optimized search algorithm, just as you wouldn't expect a programmer to be able to come up with a gorgeous UI design. Some can do both but most can't.

That said, not all designers are created equal. Some designers try to be a bit too clever, it's a matter of taste but I've always preferred a nice, clean, minimalist look. BUT some designers take the word 'minimalism' way too far and essentially make the app very difficult to navigate or use all in the name of minimalism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.