Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I never buy memory from anyone but mushkin for my x86 boxes, but their apple sticks are WAY to expensive. Crucial ram is plenty good when coupled with apple's solid chipsets and quality parts.

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
All the RAM I've ever purchased I've bought at Other World Computing (http://www.macsales.com). They usually have the cheapest prices and offer lifetime warranties on their RAM which I've never had any problems with anyway. Places like Kingston overcharge you 2x for a few more tests they do on each stick of RAM.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Stupid question, but I've always wondered....is there actually a quality difference between sticks of ram? Do some brands 'perform' better than others? Or is it just whether or not it goes 'bad?'

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Originally posted by agreenster
Stupid question, but I've always wondered....is there actually a quality difference between sticks of ram? Do some brands 'perform' better than others? Or is it just whether or not it goes 'bad?'

I think that it's more what speed the memory is, there's a full explanation on the TransIntl website: here.

Edit: and here.

Plutronics

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Illinois
Yes, 2-2-2 aka CL2 is faster than CL3 but I'm Not sure How much... and I'd like to Know. My QuickSilver came with PC133 CL3 @ 3/4 Gigabyte, so I bought another CL3 half Gig because i heard the Mac will autodetect and will run the slower speed with one CL3 and many CL2s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.