Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I know a lot of Americans use Swappa to sell their old phones. Where do you sell your phones? I am not on Facebook and do not want to use eBay. Also not very keen on sending phones to others. I would rather deal face-to-face and in cash. It’s been ages since I’ve done this. Any suggestions?

Reactions: AlexJ092

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I sell mine on Facebook marketplace to someone local for cash. You get to meet them face to face to do the deal and there’s no come back if they try and scam you like you get on eBay. The last phone I sold was an 8 Plus and I sold it within a couple of hours of putting it up. I like that you can look people up before agreeing to sell.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Yeah, I’m just not into social media at all. I don’t use any of those. Only on Instagram to upload some pictures.

Thanks [mention]MarkX [/mention] completely forgot about Gumtree. Will give it a shot.

Reactions: MarkX

lionofthesouth

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
I use Facebook for most things I sell now. Only thing that hasn’t sold is my xs max which surprised me. Offered at the same price offered by music magpie(where I have now sent it) just to save me posting it,as I too prefer face to face deals.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I know a lot of Americans use Swappa to sell their old phones. Where do you sell your phones? I am not on Facebook and do not want to use eBay. Also not very keen on sending phones to others. I would rather deal face-to-face and in cash. It’s been ages since I’ve done this. Any suggestions?

Music Magpie is good.

BTW you could still sell on eBay with the option of an in-person collection if face-to-face is your deal.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I have also used Mazuma Mobile quite a few times over the years and never had any issues there.

Avoid CEX - they will find the flimsiest reasons for down-rating your device, and they even damaged one of my iPhones whilst ‘assessing’ it and then refused to give me a value as it was ‘damaged’. Luckily they had just unseated the seal on the SIM tray and I was able to fix it but at the time I was absolutely outraged as you would imagine.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I have also used Mazuma Mobile quite a few times over the years and never had any issues there.

Avoid CEX - they will find the flimsiest reasons for down-rating your device, and they even damaged one of my iPhones whilst ‘assessing’ it and then refused to give me a value as it was ‘damaged’. Luckily they had just unseated the seal on the SIM tray and I was able to fix it but at the time I was absolutely outraged as you would imagine.
I hate CeX.

Went to trade in an iPhone 8. They rejected it, saying the home button was slightly sticking when pressed (not something I'd noticed myself). Went away to a shop nearby who fixed the issue within 10 minutes by opening up the phone and replacing the home button. Went back to CeX, explained I'd had the issue fixed (costing me £10). They then rejected it because the phone had been opened up. :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Lukkee24

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I hate CeX.

Went to trade in an iPhone 8. They rejected it, saying the home button was slightly sticking when pressed (not something I'd noticed myself). Went away to a shop nearby who fixed the issue within 10 minutes by opening up the phone and replacing the home button. Went back to CeX, explained I'd had the issue fixed (costing me £10). They then rejected it because the phone had been opened up. :rolleyes:
Brownie points for anyone that has the nasal fortitude to enter a CEX store. They stink to high heaven. Never been back in one since, and don’t plan to. My nostrils thank me for it

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Thanks for the feedback on CEX guys. I’ve always heard bad things about them. Looks like music magpie and AVForum are topping the chart here. Will take a look. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

iamyash

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I sell mine on Facebook marketplace to someone local for cash. You get to meet them face to face to do the deal and there’s no come back if they try and scam you like you get on eBay. The last phone I sold was an 8 Plus and I sold it within a couple of hours of putting it up. I like that you can look people up before agreeing to sell.
I am thinking of going down the FB Marketplace way but worried if someone runs away with my iPhone or I get scammed somehow, I like how eBay has the buyer protection. if you have any tips please let me know for selling on marketplace. thanks.

but to answer OP's question - I go to eBay and music magpie but will try out AV Forums

Drosera

macrumors regular
May 9, 2020
I sold my new iPhone 12 Mini on Ebay and got a great price. Waited until eBay offered me a maximum £1 final fee weekend offer, then listed it. Not sure how they decide who gets the offer, but worth keeping an eye out as saved me £45+ in fees!

iamyash

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I sold my iPhone 12 Pro Max on AV Forums. Usually AV Forums is my usual go to place to sell any tech that I need to off load.
hi just a question about AV forums. how is the payments handled, do people just share their PayPal IDs or is it always face-to-face cash? and suppose buys your iPhone do we wait for amount in bank account then only send it off?

sorry for so many questions quite intrigued about AV forums. thanks

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
hi just a question about AV forums. how is the payments handled, do people just share their PayPal IDs or is it always face-to-face cash? and suppose buys your iPhone do we wait for amount in bank account then only send it off?

sorry for so many questions quite intrigued about AV forums. thanks
Bank transfer, paypal or cash on collection - it's up to the seller to specify. You advertise the item (with photos), then once a deal is agreed in the thread, you go to private message and discuss specifics (exchange personal info, bank details etc).

Be warned though, if you're new then you'll be expected to build up your trustworthiness/feedback. If you have no previous sales or purchases on there and you sell something high value (like an iPhone), high feedback/established members will likely insist you send them the phone first and then they pay you when they receive it. This isn't a bad thing and completely acceptable as trust goes both ways (e.g. someone could send money to someone and the seller not send the item).

I've sold lots of things on there, never had any problems and buyers are usually people with decent feedback.

Reactions: iamyash

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I use music magpie. Never had an issue, it took 3 days from me posting my 12promax and me then receiving payment ?

Inked

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Buckinghamshire, UK
Just used music magpie to sell my wife’s old XS as she now has my 12 pro.
They offered more than anywhere else (£250 plus an extra 10% with code).
Went over to one of their drop off kiosks and the cash was in my account within 2 hours.

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
Bank transfer, paypal or cash on collection - it's up to the seller to specify. You advertise the item (with photos), then once a deal is agreed in the thread, you go to private message and discuss specifics (exchange personal info, bank details etc).

Be warned though, if you're new then you'll be expected to build up your trustworthiness/feedback. If you have no previous sales or purchases on there and you sell something high value (like an iPhone), high feedback/established members will likely insist you send them the phone first and then they pay you when they receive it. This isn't a bad thing and completely acceptable as trust goes both ways (e.g. someone could send money to someone and the seller not send the item).

I've sold lots of things on there, never had any problems and buyers are usually people with decent feedback.
Couldn’t answer it any better.

Reactions: NewBench

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

I have always used Mazuma, perfect and quick.

Reactions: andysw9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.