Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Well I know Spotlight caches searches but whats wrong with recreating the search? the point of spotlight is to always have an activate account of files that you can find, no more saving of searches. Although you could set up a smart folder I guess.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Will Cheyney said:
Spotlight doesn't save search results.
It has an index database file to retrieve search queries from.

If it doesn't save them, how can it retrieve them? :confused:

Benjamin said:
Well I know Spotlight caches searches but whats wrong with recreating the search? the point of spotlight is to always have an activate account of files that you can find, no more saving of searches. Although you could set up a smart folder I guess.

Isn't the spolight search and a smart folder the same thing anyway?

I'm not sure why anyone would need to know where the searches are saved. It's unlikely that anyone would be able to edit them outside of Spotlight.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Will Cheyney said:
Spotlight doesn't save search results.
It has an index database file to retrieve search queries from.
bousozoku said:
If it doesn't save them, how can it retrieve them? :confused:

It has to save the result. It would be a waste if it didn't. If you mean it doesn't save the files again, then you are correct. I don't know how Spotlight works, but it probably saves the locations of the files in a database. Also the database has to have what is in the files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.