Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
It's not that I'm Pro Android, I'm pro technology and at any given time have my hands on multiple devices. For example, a week ago I had in addition to my GNex, a 4S, and a T-Mobile GS2. Now I've sold the 4S and currently have a AT&T GS2 in my possession in addition to my Gnex, and I will be picking up the G Note on the 19th. You may personally have an allegiance with one particular device or OS, I have an allegiance to technology as a whole. My uncle is an avid iphone fan and we sit around and discuss technology all the time. We did an experiment where he used a GS2 for a week and I used a 4S and we compared our experiences. When you come out of your little bubble you'd be surprised how interesting it can be to see what other people think about things and why. Hence why I asked the question I asked. So to you I say the same thing I said to the other guy...don't try to turn this into something this isn't. If you aren't going to offer anything constructive to the post then please leave it. Thanks.

That's good that you are a fan of technology. Yes I do have an allegiance with the iPhone and the OS. Is there something wrong with that? I've used an iPhone 3G, 4 and now 4S. It works for me. I'm not gonna go out and spend money on phones to try to find something I like when I already have it in my hands.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2011
OP asked a question I answered it. What real world examples are there gonna be between the iPhone 4 and 4S other then the camera and speed differences? Don't get what exactly OP was looking for.
Out of curiosity, where do you notice the speed differences the most?

Ok OP I'll play your game.
Where do you I think the iPhone stacks up against the competition? I think it stacks up well. I think it it holds its own against the other heavyweights. I have had my share of complaints about the phone, but don't get me wrong I still prefer it to other phones. Though to be fair I've never used the other high end phones more than just playing with them in a store or if a friend had one. So my experience with the others is somewhat limited. But as far as my 4S is concerned I think it definitely is at the top of the heap. For one, the App Store is loaded. No other OS can say that like iOS can. The screen is bright and gorgeous. If it were larger I think it might be the best screen on the market. Last but not least, it is fast! I rarely get slowdowns or lag on my phone. I does things and it does them quickly.

Where do I think it ranks? Well that one it depends on what you're talking about. Some things like cloud services and customization obviously it won't be number 1. But when you talk about smoothness and simplicity, it's easily #1. So I guess as far as ranking it goes, it really just depends on what you're measuring it by and how much weight you give different aspects.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

----------

That's good that you are a fan of technology. Yes I do have an allegiance with the iPhone and the OS. Is there something wrong with that? I've used an iPhone 3G, 4 and now 4S. It works for me. I'm not gonna go out and spend money on phones to try to find something I like when I already have it in my hands.

Never said anything was wrong with that. No need to be defensive, you aren't being attacked. All I want to know (and yes I know you answered) is what people think of their phones and why. I'm just curious to know people's thought process behind their choice.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

----------

[/COLOR]

Never said anything was wrong with that. No need to be defensive, you aren't being attacked. All I want to know (and yes I know you answered) is what people think of their phones and why. I'm just curious to know people's thought process behind their choice.

I notice the speed differences in everything I do. From switching apps to pages loading. I think the iPhone 4S ranks high up there with all the new devices coming out. I like the build quality of the 4 and 4S. The screen is small and I did wish it was alittle bigger so hopefully the new one will be 4". Don't think I could get used to using all the Android devices see as they are too big for my liking at 4.3" and bigger.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2011

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

----------

You're welcome. No flames from me bro lol.

BTW are you "the smartphone champ"? lol

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2011
I notice the speed differences in everything I do. From switching apps to pages loading. I think the iPhone 4S ranks high up there with all the new devices coming out. I like the build quality of the 4 and 4S. The screen is small and I did wish it was alittle bigger so hopefully the new one will be 4". Don't think I could get used to using all the Android devices see as they are too big for my liking at 4.3" and bigger.
I think a lot of people overestimate the size of a 4.3" screen device. Think of the Sensation, it has a 4.3" screen but the device itself is only slightly larger than the iphone. I think they could at least give you 4" without any significant change in size.

You're welcome. No flames from me bro lol.

BTW are you "the smartphone champ"? lol
lol yep that's me.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I think a lot of people overestimate the size of a 4.3" screen device. Think of the Sensation, it has a 4.3" screen but the device itself is only slightly larger than the iphone. I think they could at least give you 4" without any significant change in size.

lol yep that's me.

I wouldn't be upset if the screen went to the edge of the iPhone, but I don't want a bigger iPhone. No even slightly bigger. Though I know a lot of people do want that. I wouldn't care if the iPhone went a little smaller. No smaller than 3" though.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I wouldn't be upset if the screen went to the edge of the iPhone, but I don't want a bigger iPhone. No even slightly bigger. Though I know a lot of people do want that. I wouldn't care if the iPhone went a little smaller. No smaller than 3" though.

I've always wanted bigger (that's what she said), but that doesn't seem to be what Apple thinks we want. It never ceases to amuse me when someone states that a 4.3 would be unwieldy.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I've always wanted bigger (that's what she said), but that doesn't seem to be what Apple thinks we want. It never ceases to amuse me when someone states that a 4.3 would be unwieldy.

I think over 50% of users want a larger iPhone. Scares me because I think the current one is big enough (I don't use a case because it makes the phone too big for me), and if Apple listens to the consumer (like they should), I'll be forced to have a larger phone. Maybe they should make it in a couple of different sizes.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2011

lol yep that's me.

Cool. I actually added it to my bookmarks and have been checking it daily. You've got a lot of good stuff on there. The commentary stuff is the best to me. I take it you don't like AT&T? lol

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

I don't think 4.3" is unwieldy, Just think that 4" would be a good size. I've always wondered why the screen couldn't be edge to edge and the empty space between the earpiece couldn't be used.

LatinaC09

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
For me the iPhone ranks number 1 :D. I've gotten to use Blackberry and Android. Android was pretty sweet but when I used iOS it was just way better IMHO. We shall see what the future holds.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Yeah I think 4.3" is right at the point of having a screen that's not too large but isn't small either. Truth be told, that's the size I prefer.

I think over 50% of users want a larger iPhone. Scares me because I think the current one is big enough (I don't use a case because it makes the phone too big for me), and if Apple listens to the consumer (like they should), I'll be forced to have a larger phone. Maybe they should make it in a couple of different sizes.
I think the same thing as far as them coming out with different sizes. I think they could really take a large additional chunk of the market if they did that.
Apple Could corner the market if they did this

Cool. I actually added it to my bookmarks and have been checking it daily. You've got a lot of good stuff on there. The commentary stuff is the best to me. I take it you don't like AT&T? lol
Thanks, I appreciate that. And yeah I'm not a big fan of AT&T lol. I don't like the way they're trying to strong arm customers to force them off of unlimited data plans. I really think something needs to be done about that.

I don't think 4.3" is unwieldy, Just think that 4" would be a good size. I've always wondered why the screen couldn't be edge to edge and the empty space between the earpiece couldn't be used.
I don't really like the idea of edge to edge for a couple of reasons. One, is that without enough bezel the screen will be exposed to more impact on the sides if it's dropped. The other reason is that it doesn't leave very much room for you fingers to rest. If you notice, when you hold your phone, part of your finger sometimes touches the face of the phone. If that part was screen, it would register than touch could cause some accidental presses quite frequently. I am a fan of minimal amount of bezel, I just don't like the idea of edge to edge.

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
Why I Choose iOS

Android isn't full Linux. It is largely Java with huge amounts of Java ripped out. Oracle/Sun is in lawsuit against Google over their use of Java without paying for the license.

There is so many things Android OS can't do, simply because it's not well designed or thought out. I am sure, as the average user who only wants to make calls, change their themes and upload their location to Spacebook goes, Google Android may seem like the golden ticket. I like to do real world things, like music composition. Google Android is light years behind iOS in that department. The whole audio latency thing with Google Android is the big problem. Why can't I run NanoStudio on Google's Android Linux? I can on regular Linux. I can also run it on Mac, Windows and iOS devices.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Android isn't full Linux. It is largely Java with huge amounts of Java ripped out. Oracle/Sun is in lawsuit against Google over their use of Java without paying for the license.

There is so many things Android OS can't do, simply because it's not well designed or thought out. I am sure, as the average user who only wants to make calls, change their themes and upload their location to Spacebook goes, Google Android may seem like the golden ticket. I like to do real world things, like music composition. Google Android is light years behind iOS in that department. The whole audio latency thing with Google Android is the big problem. Why can't I run NanoStudio on Google's Android Linux? I can on regular Linux. I can also run it on Mac, Windows and iOS devices.

I agree iAnything has Android beat in the music/audio department but what else are you talking about?

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
I agree iAnything has Android beat in the music/audio department but what else are you talking about?

Well, simply that only recently can I run FL Studio (Fruity Loops) on the latest Android OS. I can run it on any iOS device, even the original iPhone.

Android OS has little to no MIDI control. iOS devices are pretty much plug and play. MIDI isn't used solely for audio. Many automated-robotic devices can use MIDI controlling. It's a shame.

But, getting back to audio, where's the Jack audio control? Why can't I utilize Jack configurations with Google's crippled Android Linux?

Why even call it Linux? Shouldn't I be able to run any Linux distro on Android Linux OS out of the box? Why can't I without a ton of hurt? I gotta go fiddling around to get stuff to work!

I don't mean to beat up on Google Android Linux, but to me, it's not just merely iPhone vs. Android, as if they are the same and just different. It's much more technical than that.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Well, simply that only recently can I run FL Studio (Fruity Loops) on the latest Android OS. I can run it on any iOS device, even the original iPhone.

That's one program limited by the company who wrote it, not the operating system. Let me know when you can open a shell prompt on your iphone and browse around the directories via the CLI. :rolleyes:

Android OS has little to no MIDI control. iOS devices are pretty much plug and play. MIDI isn't used solely for audio. Many automated-robotic devices can use MIDI controlling. It's a shame.
Android has USB host and a full bluetooth stack. I can pair my bluetooth PS3 controller with my android phone. iOS can't do that, what a shame :rolleyes:

But, getting back to audio, where's the Jack audio control? Why can't I utilize Jack configurations with Google's crippled Android Linux?
Its linux. Someone went and rolled their own (http://nettoyeur.noisepages.com/2010/09/hello-world/)

Why even call it Linux? Shouldn't I be able to run any Linux distro on Android Linux OS out of the box? Why can't I without a ton of hurt? I gotta go fiddling around to get stuff to work!
Uh, that is *exactly* how linux works. You go fiddle around with stuff until it functions properly. Are you new around here or something?

I don't mean to beat up on Google Android Linux, but to me, it's not just merely iPhone vs. Android, as if they are the same and just different. It's much more technical than that.
Technical details don't seem to be your strong suit. As such, the iphone is probably the best device for you

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
That's one program limited by the company who wrote it, not the operating system.

No. It's directly related to the audio latency problem with Google's Android Linux OS.

Android has USB host and a full bluetooth stack. I can pair my bluetooth PS3 controller with my android phone. iOS can't do that, what a shame :rolleyes:

Try paring any Bluetooth keyboard with Google's Android Linux OS that is running HTC's Sense UI. Oops, can I say HID (Human Interface Driver) conflict? Don't forget, most Google Android Linux OS phones do not have full Bluetooth stacks, but limited stacks per carrier demands.

Its linux. Someone went and rolled their own (http://nettoyeur.noisepages.com/2010/09/hello-world/)

That project isn't really quite working, yet. It hasn't been touched since 2010. It's 2012. Alas, that is why I posted what I did.

There is also the Ubuntu Linux project of Ubuntu on Android phones, for some real open source goodness.

Uh, that is *exactly* how linux works. You go fiddle around with stuff until it functions properly. Are you new around here or something?

You don't like new competition to your stale fanboyism?

It's your opinion that Linux requires fiddling until it works. Regardless, I still can't install full Linux packages on Android out of the box. It would be nice to run standard Linux Ekiga on Google's Android Linux OS, but no. I have to use 3rd party apps that are only partly compatible and limited directly by Google's Android Linux OS, which means no texting or video compatiblity. Just an example of what Google's Android Linux OS cannot or more appropriately, will not do.

Technical details don't seem to be your strong suit. As such, the iphone is probably the best device for you

Apparently you ain't too bright. Just keep drinking the Koolaide.

Last edited:

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
No. It's directly related to the audio latency problem with Google's Android Linux OS.
I'll have to take your word for it since I haven't used Fruity Loops or any other trackers in about 10+ years. As you said, the problem is fixed with the newest revision of the OS.

Should I start complaining about copy&paste, decent notifications, voice-to-text, and a bevy of other features not being available on old versions of iOS?

Seems a bit silly at this stage, does it not? How is iOS 5 working out on iPhone 2, 3x? Could those phones run Fruity loops without latency? :rolleyes: Please let me know.

Try paring any Bluetooth keyboard with Google's Android Linux OS that is running HTC's Sense UI. Oops, can I say HID (Human Interface Driver) conflict? Don't forget, most Google Android Linux OS phones do not have full Bluetooth stacks, but limited stacks per carrier demands.
Then its a good thing that I have MotoBlur, TouchWiz, Vanilla android and whatever LG/Sony call their variants to choose from. What do you do when your iphone doesn't support a software feature? You grin and bear it, that's what. :rolleyes:

That project isn't really quite working, yet. It hasn't been touched since 2010. It's 2012. Alas, that is why I posted what I did.
Its working, but not fully functional... which is my point. When someone gets an android itch, they are fully free to scratch it and distribute their fix on the web to anyone who wants it.

Apparently, there is very little demand for jack audio (or whatever it is you call it), which is why the project has been mothballed. If you want a more complete listing of open source android projects then here is one of many sites listing them:
http://www.aopensource.com/

I won't bother asking you for the iOS equivalent. iPhone gets a choice of what few jailbreak apps there are and then there isn't much available outside of that.

There is also the Ubuntu Linux project of Ubuntu on Android phones, for some real open source goodness.
What are you trying to say here?

You don't like new competition to your stale fanboyism?

It's your opinion that Linux requires fiddling until it works. Regardless, I still can't install full Linux packages on Android out of the box. It would be nice to run standard Linux Ekiga on Google's Android Linux OS, but no. I have to use 3rd party apps that are only partly compatible and limited directly by Google's Android Linux OS, which means no texting or video compatiblity. Just an example of what Google's Android Linux OS cannot or more appropriately, will not do.

I am going to guess that you're ~22 yrs old or younger. Yes, certainuser-friendly Linux distros today have happy GUIs and pre-archived drivers that play nice with your plug and play hardware. Anyone who has been around the block once or twice doesn't have to think very far back to when burning an ISO of your distro was the first in a series of very long steps to configuring a usable linux machine.

You hunted down drivers (with a working machine), loaded them up and prayed that they would work without having to delve too far into a man page. Hand-held computing hasn't even reached that stage yet.... much less being the super-auto-configured, so-easy-your-aunt-sally-can-do-it computing platform.

Yeah, even if you know what you're doing (or are not smart/diligent enough to figure it out), then installing a new kernel on your smart phone is probably going to take some tinkering.

Even putting regular vanilla Android on a rooted phone often takes half a dozen steps and a couple of 3rd party desktop applications.....you really *are* new around here I guess.

Apparently you ain't too bright. Just keep drinking the Koolaide.

yes, i'm the dummy. Don't mind me, I have no idea about anything. :rolleyes:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Where does the iPhone rank against other phones?

That's easy, all one has to do is look at all the money Apple is holding, and continuing to bring in. That's all that matters to them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.