Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RomerosDaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Hi,

Ok, so I'm using Apricorn's Velocity Solo x2 and want to add an addition ssd through it's sata port (reason for this is Apricorn says read/write speeds will go up to 800mbps with two ssd's working together; please read about it if you don't know of this product), but I can't find any place I can draw power into the extra ssd. I would have used the 6 pin to 15 pin sata power cable, but my dang ATI Radeon HD 4870 is using both 6 pin power ports :/.

I thought about just drawing power from one of my open drive bays using this cable, but the problem is I can't use the sata connection part of that cable to mount to the extra ssd, I need only the power source. I have to connect a separate sata cable going from the Velocity Solo x2 sata port to the ssd (please see this diagram to see what I'm taking about) and then connect the ssd to a power cable, but I don't know where or how to achieve this, giving the two 6pin power ports are taken.

If anyone could help me with this, you would be very much appreciated as I'm getting the biggest headache trying to figure this out.

Thank you!

MacEMT

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
Hi,

Ok, so I'm using Apricorn's Velocity Solo x2 and want to add an addition ssd through it's sata port (reason for this is Apricorn says read/write speeds will go up to 800mbps with two ssd's working together; please read about it if you don't know of this product), but I can't find any place I can draw power into the extra ssd. I would have used the 6 pin to 15 pin sata power cable, but my dang ATI Radeon HD 4870 is using both 6 pin power ports :/.

I thought about just drawing power from one of my open drive bays using this cable, but the problem is I can't use the sata connection part of that cable to mount to the extra ssd, I need only the power source. I have to connect a separate sata cable going from the Velocity Solo x2 sata port to the ssd (please see this diagram to see what I'm taking about) and then connect the ssd to a power cable, but I don't know where or how to achieve this, giving the two 6pin power ports are taken.

If anyone could help me with this, you would be very much appreciated as I'm getting the biggest headache trying to figure this out.

Thank you!

What about just using a power only cable instead of the power and data one that you can't use? Like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-15-Pin...928411?hash=item5d56b9141b:g:52sAAOSwv0tVCOQJ

RomerosDaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
What about just using a power only cable instead of the power and data one that you can't use? Like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-15-Pin...928411?hash=item5d56b9141b:g:52sAAOSwv0tVCOQJ
That's what I thought to do, but wouldn't that cable not fit into the drive bay's port (This picture of the drive bay port)? It looks like only the power+sata cable will only fit, am I wrong? If it does indeed fit, will that be a sufficient power source to power the ssd properly?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
That's what I thought to do, but wouldn't that cable not fit into the drive bay's port (This picture of the drive bay port)? It looks like only the power+sata cable will only fit, am I wrong? If it does indeed fit, will that be a sufficient power source to power the ssd properly?

I think this will work 22 pin male to 15 pin and 7 pin female SATA cable. Just use the power cable.
https://www.amazon.com/SATA-22-Pin-Male-Female/dp/B00C9NEY0S

If it is not long enough use a standard male to female extension.

Yes it should provide plenty of power. It should be able to power a 10k RPM 3.5" hard drive. An SSD is nothing compared to that.

Reactions: RomerosDaniel

RomerosDaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.