Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

"You can report iMessages that look like spam or junk from the Messages app. If you get an iMessage from someone who's not saved in your Contacts, you'll see a Report Junk link under the message. Tap the link to forward the sender's information and the message to Apple."

"If you don't have iOS 8.3 or later, you can send an email to imessage.spam@apple.com with this information:

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

"You can report iMessages that look like spam or junk from the Messages app. If you get an iMessage from someone who's not saved in your Contacts, you'll see a Report Junk link under the message. Tap the link to forward the sender's information and the message to Apple."

"If you don't have iOS 8.3 or later, you can send an email to imessage.spam@apple.com with this information:

That's what I thought.. my brother and I both have iphone7 on latest iOS and neither have a report junk showing. Maybe a bug

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It was something that was supposedly fixed in some fashion in iOS 10.1 (listed as one of the bullet items in the Messages section):

ios-10.1-changelog-final11.jpg

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Today I received an iMessage from a pal, who had a new number. At that time I had the option to report the number as spam, but obviously didn't, because, well, the dude's a good friend.

Point being, the option was there for me as it should be.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Settings.... Messages. Turn on "filter unknown senders". Works for me on all devices.

This is a workaround? As far as I've seen it is a bug that hasn't been fixed. I don't want a workaround that changes settings and instead will wait for the bug fix for the bug fix

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
This is a workaround? As far as I've seen it is a bug that hasn't been fixed. I don't want a workaround that changes settings and instead will wait for the bug fix for the bug fix
I don't think it's a workaround. It's been working for me since inception. Worked today
[doublepost=1479181297][/doublepost]
If you receive a spam text or iMessage in the Messages app from a number or email address that is not in your contacts list, you will see the option to Report as Junk at the very bottom. To report a message as spam:

1. Tap on the blue Report as Junk link at the very bottom of the message.
  2. Tap Delete and Report Junk button in the pop up menu. I've highlighted the Report Junk portion of the button because the delete function didn't work in my testing.

imessage-reportspam-ios9-screens_0.jpeg

Alternatively, you can report spam directly to Apple via email. Take a screenshot of the offending spam message, the phone number or email it came from, and the time of day you received it and send it to imessage.spam@icloud.com and Apple will investigate the claim.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Thank you captain obvious. We all knew this already lol. It's the fact that the option is missing, potentionally on iPhone 7's only. It must be a bug.

I agree I think it is a bug. The 'report junk' should be showing from default

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Is the Report Junk only for iMessage (Blue) or for SMS (Green) also ?
It's probably a dumb question but I'd like to make sure ;-))

pentcp2

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2015
Maybe "report junk" is disabled if the number is in your contacts ? Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Maybe "report junk" is disabled if the number is in your contacts ? Sorry if I've misunderstood.

That's right, but I'm talking about numbers that aren't in my contacts. It should also be there for numbers that come through with a name - as if they were in ones contact list, but aren't

Aygesh

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
Hi, I got a message from a person I do not wish to contact. Her number is not saved and when I got her message I just clicked it as a “junk”.
Does it mean I will never be bothered by messages anymore? That all her messages are in nervana or do I have a junk folder now? And will she be also informed she is junk now or won’t she be aware of it and she will keep on messaging me? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.