Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Some weeks ago I installed macOS Monterey from scratch on my MBP 2019 and found that the Floating screensaver I have used since forever in all my macs was broken. I read that there was a bug with the screensavers that use pictures and that it was going to be fixed in v12.1. I decided to use the source Colors while I waited for the fix. Today that I installed v12.1 I see that the only source offered to choose under the Floating screensaver settings is Colors, the same applies for all the other screensavers that use a picture source. I can still choose a folder or my own Photo library but the only default collection offered is Colors. Where have all the other collections gone? Pictures from the actual and many previous versions of macOS were always made available as sources by Apple. You can see an example of this taken from my previous macOS Big Sur install under this post attachments.

What do you see at your end under sources on your screensavers based on pictures? What has happened with the usual picture sources that we have always been able to use as screensavers?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 15.21.49.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 15.21.49.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 441
  • Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 16.20.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 16.20.29.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 189

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Since opening this thread I have found several others on the internet with people experiencing the same issue after installing macOS Monterey.

Could a kind soul check if you have the full contents of /System/Library/Screen Savers/Default Collections with all the folders with the screensaver pictures? If so could you zip the Default Collections folder, upload the file somewhere and paste the link on this thread? My backups are too old and are only showing a few of the collections. This would solve my issue.
Really appreciate the help, thanks.

Reactions: moses3k

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Looks like the Catalina and Big Sur images in 'Default Collections' are just aliases to the images in /System/Library/Desktop Pictures/. Do you still have those?

moses3k

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2022
Since opening this thread I have found several others on the internet with people experiencing the same issue after installing macOS Monterey.

Could a kind soul check if you have the full contents of /System/Library/Screen Savers/Default Collections with all the folders with the screensaver pictures? If so could you zip the Default Collections folder, upload the file somewhere and paste the link on this thread? My backups are too old and are only showing a few of the collections. This would solve my issue.
Really appreciate the help, thanks.
OMG that would be such an amazing gesture. Is there anyone out there who can help with this please?

Cyrus.B

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2022
Don't get it. Did Apple really remove the default screensaver photos (landscapes, space etc.) from Monterey?

I see that most of the default desktop pictures need to be downloaded manually, but I can't find an option to download screensaver photos.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Don't get it. Did Apple really remove the default screensaver photos (landscapes, space etc.) from Monterey?

I see that most of the default desktop pictures need to be downloaded manually, but I can't find an option to download screensaver photos.
Yeah, they are gone.
I decided for the first time in ages to give a try to a 3rd party screensaver, the open source Aerial: https://aerialscreensaver.github.io/
It's amazing. Better than any of the other screensavers I have used before. Not looking back really. Think on the Apple TV screensavers but in steroids with many of the Apple TV known and cool ones and others in collaboration from the community. Give it a try.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Cyrus.B

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2022
Yeah, they are gone.
I decided for the first time in ages to give a try to a 3rd party screensaver, the open source Aerial: https://aerialscreensaver.github.io/
It's amazing. Better than any of the other screensavers I have used before. Not looking back really. Think on the Apple TV screensavers but in steroids with many of the Apple TV known and cool ones and others in collaboration from the community. Give it a try.
Thanks, looks really good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.