Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi All,

I've wondered for years why Carmen Sandiego was not re-released on any platforms.
I started playing the games in the late 80s and easily learned the most on it. I didn't like the TV show but World (multiple editions), US, Europe, History and many, many more... In some recent conversations which people my age, the series comes up as a very fond memory. I'm actually stunned no one bought the IP and either did a full on retro release or tried to relaunch it. The only thing I found was a Netflix web game as a tie in for their own "relaunch" .

I'm convinced that kids that played it would LOVE the nostalgia and have THEIR kids learn in a fun and easy way. What am I missing? Anyone know what the issue could be? I assume some rights? The whole Broderbund catalog would seem to be a goldmine to me.

Thanks,

Philly

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Because the license is owned by HarperCollins publishing and they're just not interested in pushing anything with her. There was the Carmen Sandiego Netflix show two years ago but otherwise they just aren't pushing her, and given how HarperCollins is one of the spawns of Satan in the book publishing world it's unlikely they will

Not to mention the old games are horribly outdated with their map information, which is a big problem with the franchise as map borders change constantly. Some of these games released back when the Soviet Union existed, others before contested land like Crimea became a factor. And this isn't even factoring in the rabbit hole of contested territories along the South China Sea.

So tl;dr, the license holders are evil and the older games have map information that is no longer relevant. It's a problem that reruns of the game show too as they have to put disclaimers that the map data is outdated, or just straight up wrong.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I didn't know that Harper Collins owns the IP. UGH and yes they are one of the many spawns of Satan. I didn't even consider the ramifications of disputed territories. Taiwan would be another good example. We know China would lose their minds. Plus the little blurbs they wrote about the nations, even in their most basic form would upset someone. Why certain landmarks were chosen. Etc, etc etc... Boy I'm not even that old and feel like those were the more carefree and simpler times.

Thank you Spaceboi appreciate the effort, explanation and video.

Philly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.