Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Discovery Mix is one of the features advertised in the new Music app on the Apple website. I can't find it anywhere though. I can't find the release notes, so I don't know if there's anything in there about it. Is it missing, or is it like Discover Weekly in that it takes a few days to appear?

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
No one has it yet. Any of the following are plausible explanation.

• Like a handful of new features announced at WWDC every year, Discovery Mix will be available with subsequent beta updates. Not everything is ready to go at beta 1. There's nothing to do but wait.
  • It is possible Apple will issue independent app updates to stock apps like Music through the App Store, keep an eye out there. Just speculation.
  • Apple habitually updates Apple Music remotely without software updates, as it's a service on a server somewhere. It could just pop up.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
No one has it yet. Any of the following are plausible explanation.

• Like a handful of new features announced at WWDC every year, Discovery Mix will be available with subsequent beta updates. Not everything is ready to go at beta 1. There's nothing to do but wait.
  • It is possible Apple will issue independent app updates to stock apps like Music through the App Store, keep an eye out there. Just speculation.
  • Apple habitually updates Apple Music remotely without software updates, as it's a service on a server somewhere. It could just pop up.

From a 9to5 Mac article regarding Schiller and Federighi's interview with John Gruber:

"Schiller and Federighi clarified today, however, that apps can not be updated without a new iOS update. Additionally, Schiller and Federighi noted that you aren’t actually deleting the app when you delete it from your device. Just the user data."

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Resurrecting this thread since beta 2 is out. Is Discovery Mix available in this beta?

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Do you have a screenshot of what this Discovery Mix is supposed to look like? I don't even know what I'm trying to look for to answer your question.

In this screenshot from the iOS 10 preview Website.
Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 7.02.56 PM.png

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Ahhh. Nothing like that yet. Nothing in Apple Music even has that same tile layout yet shown there either.

I check For You every day, and while it has been revamped already, I have yet to see the Discovery Mix come up. I am guessing this is not going to be a part of the beta at all, but that's purely speculative on my part.

I do hope it is as good as the Discover Weekly playlists on Spotify! (which they skipped this week b/c of the holiday, grrrrr)

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I check For You every day, and while it has been revamped already, I have yet to see the Discovery Mix come up. I am guessing this is not going to be a part of the beta at all, but that's purely speculative on my part.

I do hope it is as good as the Discover Weekly playlists on Spotify! (which they skipped this week b/c of the holiday, grrrrr)

Read the release notes and says mixes will be coming in later betas.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I read the release notes for beta 3 and it didn't say anything about Discovery Mix. Is it included in this beta, or not?

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
We're at beta 6. I know the release notes said 'a later beta' but are ever going to the feature before GM?

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It's quite possible to not show up until it's officially released. Or maybe even been scrapped all together.

Have there been other instances where a feature seen at WWDC (as well as on the preview site) has been scrapped?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Have there been other instances where a feature seen at WWDC (as well as on the preview site) has been scrapped?

I guess FaceTime being an open protocol counts as one? But no, Apple hasn't announced a feature only to revoke it.

If they showed it, chances are it will happen. It probably won't be ready till the GM. That has happened before.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I guess FaceTime being an open protocol counts as one? But no, Apple hasn't announced a feature only to revoke it.

If they showed it, chances are it will happen. It probably won't be ready till the GM. That has happened before.
Perhaps they are trying to get the best 'mix' between what Discover Weekly and Release Radar offer, to keep users from switching to Spotify for those playlists. Just an idea.

Edit: I remember Steve saying that about FaceTime. Shame it never happened.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

If they showed the feature on stage at WWCD then it's likely that the feature won't get enabled until iOS 10 launches (since it would be an iOS 10 feature it also won't get released into Apple Music until then)

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
If they showed the feature on stage at WWCD then it's likely that the feature won't get enabled until iOS 10 launches (since it would be an iOS 10 feature it also won't get released into Apple Music until then)

It appears to have been quietly added either yesterday or this morning! Except instead of "Discovery Mix", it is broken out in to "My New Music Mix" and "My Favorites Mix". My New Music appears to be the equivalent of Spotify's Release Radar feature, and My Favorites pulls from things that are in heavy rotation in your library. It remains to be seen if the Discovery Mix will actually surface, or if it's just going to be a combination of these two. The playlists say they update every Friday and Wednesday, respectively.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It appears to have been quietly added either yesterday or this morning! Except instead of "Discovery Mix", it is broken out in to "My New Music Mix" and "My Favorites Mix". My New Music appears to be the equivalent of Spotify's Release Radar feature, and My Favorites pulls from things that are in heavy rotation in your library. It remains to be seen if the Discovery Mix will actually surface, or if it's just going to be a combination of these two. The playlists say they update every Friday and Wednesday, respectively.

I noticed that. Thanks. Looks like there's no equivalent to Discover Weekly right now, sadly.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I noticed that. Thanks. Looks like there's no equivalent to Discover Weekly right now, sadly.

I think it's what My Favorites Mix is intended to be, it just may take some time for it to learn recommendations that are outside of your library. All speculation on my part, though. Maybe it will come with the final release as a separate feature, or maybe they will evolve the My Favorites Mix over time to act like the Discover Weekly lists do.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
It appears that the "My New Music Mix" is Apples version of Spotify's "Discover Weekly". Pure speculation, but maybe they changed it from "Discovery Mix" because of the similarity that would have had with Spotify's weekly playlist.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I think it's what My Favorites Mix is intended to be, it just may take some time for it to learn recommendations that are outside of your library. All speculation on my part, though. Maybe it will come with the final release as a separate feature, or maybe they will evolve the My Favorites Mix over time to act like the Discover Weekly lists do.

It appears that the "My New Music Mix" is Apples version of Spotify's "Discover Weekly". Pure speculation, but maybe they changed it from "Discovery Mix" because of the similarity that would have had with Spotify's weekly playlist.

Then is My New Music Mix supposed to a combination of Realease Radar and Discover Weekly?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Then is My New Music Mix supposed to a combination of Realease Radar and Discover Weekly?

From what I can tell, it's more in line with Release Radar, and My Favorites is intended to be the Discover Weekly stand-in. Difficult to say for sure until we can watch them evolve week over week and see how it shakes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.