Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
What happened to ‘Mark not Junk’? I can see ‘Move to Junk’ even when the message is already in Junk!

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I can only assume moving it to the inbox folder does that, but there is no specific option. I have no idea if moving it to inbox flags your mail provider to make it as not junk (like it does when you mark it as spam)

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
When an email appears in your junk folder select it and the "Not Junk" option appears in the tool bar. Not very user friendly, but it works.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
What happened to ‘Mark not Junk’? I can see ‘Move to Junk’ even when the message is already in Junk!

My iCloud and Gmail accounts show "Mark as Not Junk" for messages in the junk folder, between the archive/delete message option and "mute" option.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I can only assume moving it to the inbox folder does that, but there is no specific option. I have no idea if moving it to inbox flags your mail provider to make it as not junk (like it does when you mark it as spam)
This doesn’t seem to do it for me. I constantly have to move emails from a specific sender, and no matter what I do, they keep getting sent to junk.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I lost it after iOS 13.

Here is what I had in iOS 12 (stock image):

C7C4C18B-D2A6-4F0D-9D32-5DEC01A3C876.png

Here is what I have as of now:

B3B84A06-C688-491A-949D-CE08BB1E5DA4.png

It says ‘Move to junk’ but I am in junk!

Moving to inbox isn’t working; same genuine emails going to junk each time.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Moving to the Inbox does work but only temporarily. I have to use it every day to get messages back to a “not junk” status, but a couple days later messages from the same sender wind up back in junk. They took away the “not junk” option in ios. It still exists in macOS and I believe on iCloud.com you have a specific “not junk” option but I’m not certain, I’ll have to check in a while when I get another one. I hope they add this function back in ios 14.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
As you said this was changed in iOS 13, there is no “mark as not junk option.” I just saw one in my junk folder on my ipad so I went to iCloud.com in Safari for that account and selected that message in the junk mailbox. There is a mark not junk option there as well as in macOS Mail but not in ios. I don’t see any logic to this and hope that ios 14 restores this option, I don’t expect this before then.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
No, it’s not that. It’s clearly been changed in iOS 13.

It appears to be a bug in 13 (I'm on 13.3.1). I tried an experiment:

1) If you move an email to Junk by using "Move Message", and selecting Junk as the new mailbox, you'll get "Move to Junk" as the option for that email in the Junk folder.

2) If you select "Move to Junk", it will get "Mark as Not Junk" as the option instead of "Move to Junk."

Apparently the "Move Message" function needs to be modified to set some flag if the mailbox a message is being moved to is the Junk mailbox.

There may be other cases where this bug appears.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
It appears to be a bug in 13 (I'm on 13.3.1). I tried an experiment:

1) If you move an email to Junk by using "Move Message", and selecting Junk as the new mailbox, you'll get "Move to Junk" as the option for that email in the Junk folder.

2) If you select "Move to Junk", it will get "Mark as Not Junk" as the option instead of "Move to Junk."

Apparently the "Move Message" function needs to be modified to set some flag if the mailbox a message is being moved to is the Junk mailbox.

There may be other cases where this bug appears.
You’re right! Clearly a bug then. I’ll leave you to report to Apple ?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I lost it after iOS 13.

Here is what I had in iOS 12 (stock image):

View attachment 895942

Here is what I have as of now:

View attachment 895943
It says ‘Move to junk’ but I am in junk!

Moving to inbox isn’t working; same genuine emails going to junk each time.
Same here, still the same with 13.4! I keep thinking the next update will fix it, but this has been a problem since, IDK, 13.0 I think. (I’ve been too busy to look and see if someone else has the same issue)
As you said this was changed in iOS 13, there is no “mark as not junk option.” I just saw one in my junk folder on my ipad so I went to iCloud.com in Safari for that account and selected that message in the junk mailbox. There is a mark not junk option there as well as in macOS Mail but not in ios. I don’t see any logic to this and hope that ios 14 restores this option, I don’t expect this before then.
This is a bug needed fixed a long time ago, it needs fixed now, not in iOS 14, ...I’m on my way to report to Apple now, just wish I could include a pic.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Still an issue in iOS 14...
Emails in ‘Junk’ don’t have the option to ‘Mark as not junk’...

9BCB1064-451D-44B6-90B7-8D4C89F7CECF.png

Nick55

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Apple has lost their way regarding simple and reliable software. Many features are now hidden behind other options that you must click and then choose. Simple now made complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.