Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imspace2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Maryland
Anyone got any new info on quicktime 6 will it come out at QT Live?
And does it have divx support?

Quicktime 6

I would love to see quicktime 6, it should have the option to open avi files. (By the way what is an AVI file)
Quicktime is the greatest and I love it compared to WMP.
Are there any updates for iTunes?(Another great program)

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Avi just means audio video I (can't remember) it is a format that the codec could still be divx, mpeg etc...

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
AVI is the (predominantly) windows video format, stands for Audio Video Interchange I think

just like quicktime, the audio and video compressors can vary greatly; they're basically just different formatted files (although QT can do a bunch of things that AVI can't I think)

QT can play those man...you just might not have the right decompressor

QT5 IMO is great, a good thing to sit on for a while. Divx is controversial as I believe the people at M$ think its a ripoff of mpeg-4, so as we *might* see mpeg 4 support in the future it is probably unlikely that we'll see divx support.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Hey Choppaface, I haven't been able to open ONE avi in my entire time of using QT (since 2.5). Is it just me or does Apple leave out the most blatantly used avi codecs? I'm sick of seeing "This file cannot be opened by QuickTime. Unfortunately, the necessary drivers were not found on the QuickTime server" or whatever rubbish.

That really peaves me, I gotta admit... and I paid for Pro. Both times.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
I agree

I agree with you Hemingray. I was trying to watch a game trailer for sim city today and it said... this file cannont be opened by quicktime and necessary software was not found on the quicktime server.
That really pisses me off, and I paid for the pro version too.:mad: :confused: :eek: :( :mad:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I thought that quicktime was made to work with any codecs, just with a plugin. Surley someone's made an AVI plugin or something or another for quicktime 5.

Windows media player sux, i agree. it's another attempt from microsoft to destandardize something that they should keep their noses out of.

Fredman Jr.

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2002
Quicktime can open AVIs

I have done it many times on my computer in version 4.1.2(i think) pro edition.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
I thought that quicktime was made to work with any codecs, just with a plugin. Surley someone's made an AVI plugin or something or another for quicktime 5.
They have. Haven't you read the other posts in this thread? ???

Try
http://www.divx.com/divx/index.php
http://www.mac.st/

I rarely get an AVI I can't open (in OS 9 or X) using the software available at the above sites.

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Re: I agree

Originally posted by me hate windows
I agree with you Hemingray. I was trying to watch a game trailer for sim city today and it said... this file cannont be opened by quicktime and necessary software was not found on the quicktime server.
That really pisses me off, and I paid for the pro version too.:mad: :confused: :eek: :( :mad:

hmmm ... if u really want to watch AVI's, go and install the Mav version of Windows Media Player for MacOS, it's there, if you dare ...

I say Quicktime 6 for Tokyo!

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Fer cryin' out loud...

Know the difference between an architecture, track, codec, and program. An architecture defines the structure of the file and how all the tracks and other data are organized within it. A track defines an aspect of the data (audio, video, sprite, etc.). Tracks for certain types of high-bitrate data (namely audio, video, and still images) have to be compressed using lossy or lossless compression techniques. This compressor-decompressor code is known as a codec. A program has all the necessary architecture parsing and codec code to make or read one or multiple kinds of files.

So Quicktime is both the name of an architecture, and of a program that can read Quicktime, AVI, and MPEG architectures, and has most of the necessary codecs. MP3 is a lossy audio codec available to Quicktime, AVI, and MPEG. Windows Media Player can read windows media files as well as AVIs. MP4v3 was a microsoft video codec based on a non-finalized version of Mpeg 4 and available only to the Windows Media file format, until it was hacked to allow it to be used in AVIs and called DivX, which became hugely popular and eventually was brought to Quicktime (sort of).

Quicktime can open AVIs. However there is a non-standard way of encoding avis where the data is padded with zeros at certain key points, without explicitly specifying the start point. Quicktime can't read these AVIs properly, and ends up dropping the Audio. On top of that there is the DivX problem. MS tried to squash it on the PC side but was never really successful, and various versions are readily available. But due to the extremely poor Windows Media Player implementations on the mac, and the AVI encoding problem, the mac solutions for viewing these very popular files were tricky and not well known. For a long time the only option was the DivX player (mac.divx.st). Nowadays people have finally reverse-engineered the codec and are producing kosher versions for OS X and classic including divosx (divx.jamby.net), as well as divx alternatives like 3ivX (http://www.3ivx.com) and the confusingly named DivX package (http://www.divx.com) which includes both an alternative codec and an old style divx codec. The AVI problem remains only partially resolved via DivX doctoring or the AVI2MOV utility until - it is rumored - Quicktime 6, at which point we will finally have a total solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.