Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Hello,

Does anyone know where is the data temporarily stored when private browsing is enabled? Is it in virtual memory (RAM) or on the flash disk?

This is iOS.

Thanks!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Without knowing for certain, I’ll say that it works like regular Safari, so anything regular Safari would store to disk gets stored to a /tmp directory attached to the individual session and cleared on session end.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Thanks for the answer. Just out of curiousity, what happens if Safari crashes? Does the data get cleared from that temp folder?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks for the answer. Just out of curiousity, what happens if Safari crashes? Does the data get cleared from that temp folder?

I believe it'd stay there for a day, a week, a month something like that, but eventually would get cleaned. A reboot should do it too. - Not tested any of this, but basing it off of how a /tmp folder usually works. - What I have tested though is actually that if a page in private mode is open when your device runs out of power the same page will open next you get juice and open Safari - though that was a few iOS updates ago.

Reactions: Lekro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.