Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scotjock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Suddenly I cant pull up my System Preferences. I click and nothing happens. I need to change my password (cuz my other half is accessing my computer remotely and that needs to stop.):mad: Any suggestions?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
System Preferences is located in the Applications folder. If you're clicking the icon in the dock and it's not opening, you can try going directly to the application, but your best bet is to restart.

Scotjock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
i.e. just did a restart and it still wont come up!:confused:

I see the file [in the Applications folder] - I double click and it goes like a 'ghost open' then nothing!

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
It could be a permissions issue. You might consider firing up the Disk Utility and running repair permissions on your disk. Also, you might look to see if there are any telling error messages in /var/log/system.log from the application (or use the Console.app utility).

Scotjock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Thanks - I'll see if I can do that

will post again if still no luck!:D

Scotjock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
disk repais brought up the following... (which i don't get!)

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Okay sometimes it's the simple things...

• Does it show System Preferences in the Menu Bar (top of the screen)?
  • Can you click on View and select Show All Preferences?
  • Or just push Command L

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

The repair permissions doesn't mess with files that are SUID (setuid). Any change in behavior?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.