Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I'm a street photographer (self taught) but stopped shooting when I became unwell about 7 years ago. Flickr was "the place" to post at the time, but it seems a bit redundant now?

I thought that Instagram would have been a good place to post work, but it's full of silly videos?

Where do you post, if you don't mind me asking?

I've decided to get back into my photography, so want to share on the best platform possible.

Thanks in advance.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I really, really love Glass. It is a paid app, it's still kind of small and new, but the people I have met there are amazing and really love their craft. The developers/founders are active and chat with people, they take suggestions, they are smart and fun. I joined when they first started almost two years ago and have posted sporadically on and off, but over the past couple of months it has really started to gel (which coincidentally was when I started becoming more active myself....so the lesson is be active and you'll get engagement). Glass doesn't count likes, you can't see other people's likes, and it's all chronological, so you never miss anything.

I do post on IG still also, but I really am not on IG. At this point I'm just there for some group chats that are easy to keep up with but the platform as a whole is really underwhelming now.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I really, really love Glass. It is a paid app, it's still kind of small and new, but the people I have met there are amazing and really love their craft. The developers/founders are active and chat with people, they take suggestions, they are smart and fun. I joined when they first started almost two years ago and have posted sporadically on and off, but over the past couple of months it has really started to gel (which coincidentally was when I started becoming more active myself....so the lesson is be active and you'll get engagement). Glass doesn't count likes, you can't see other people's likes, and it's all chronological, so you never miss anything.

I do post on IG still also, but I really am not on IG. At this point I'm just there for some group chats that are easy to keep up with but the platform as a whole is really underwhelming now.
Thanks for the informative reply, Molly.

I'll have to check that out.

Do you not use Flickr? I used to have some great interaction on there, and it's free to post up to 1000 photos.

Wishing you well, and thanks again.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for the informative reply, Molly.

I'll have to check that out.

Do you not use Flickr? I used to have some great interaction on there, and it's free to post up to 1000 photos.

Wishing you well, and thanks again.
I've never really used Flickr. I mean, I do have an account, but I never used it the way it was intended, and the I've never found the interface particularly easy to navigate when making albums.

I pay for a Smugmug account already (and before that I paid for Zenfolio), so I don't need it for hosting images, and Flickr fell out of favor years ago for Instagram, although I think they are trying to make a comeback.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I've never really used Flickr. I mean, I do have an account, but I never used it the way it was intended, and the I've never found the interface particularly easy to navigate when making albums.

I pay for a Smugmug account already (and before that I paid for Zenfolio), so I don't need it for hosting images, and Flickr fell out of favor years ago for Instagram, although I think they are trying to make a comeback.
It's a shame, as Flickr was a lovely place to share and "hangout."

I met some lovely people on there, and when out shooting, when I got "the" shot, I couldn't wait to get home to process & post!

I think the Flickr app is broken, as the main startup page is blank for me? The website seems to work well, though.

I was disappointed with "Insta," as I'm sure it was intended to be for photography, but as I said before, it's just silly videos now. I use TikTok when I want to be amused by such things. The other issue re Instagram for me is that I like to shoot in landscape orientation, whereas Instagram is portrait orientated.

It's intriguing how the photography landscape (no put intended) has changed in such a relatively short time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to re-engaging my photographic eye and seeing what I come up with.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Years ago I had a Flickr account but really didn't use it for anything "serious" and easily let it go when things were changing there anyway. I use Zenfolio for posting images to my personal galleries, having previously used Smugmug for the same purpose. At one time this was the best way to share images on other sites, by "hotlinking." Now that is no longer necessary, as most of us can simply upload right from our computers to whatever site where we want to share images.

Many years ago when I first began using Nikon digital cameras I became a member of that site, and although I no longer use Nikon, I still participate there at Nikon Cafe anyway. I also belong to a couple of sites which specifically focus on the brand that I am now using, Sony. I'm sure that there are also discussion sites for those who use Canon as their gear. Lots to learn from sharing and seeing what others share who ar using the same brand as one is.....

With regard to more generalized sites, as Molly mentioned, there is Glass. I'm a member there but not really all that active. Once in a while when I think of it I'll pop in and will have a look around, appreciate someone else's work, maybe toss an image or two of mine into one of the various categories but that is the extent of my participation there.

I do think Glass is on the right track by encouraging interaction among members but not allowing "likes" and that crap. If someone genuinely appreciates someone else's image there is ample opportunity to express their thoughts and start up a conversation between two (or sometimes more) artists, without all that silly "reaction" score junk.

There is also the recently saved-by-the-bell DPR (Digital Preview Review) as a more generalized site, but it really is more of a gear-oriented site as opposed to an image-sharing one per se, although some people do post images there as well. DPR is the place to go when one wants to learn more about a specific brand, a specific model of camera body, a specific lens.....both from reading the reviews provided at the site and the comments and posts from users of the gear who are members of the site.

Instagram? No thanks! I am leery of that site and always have been. As for TikTok, isn't that primarily for participants (mostly younger people) sharing video clips? Films of themselves dancing, putting on makeup, styling hair, acting silly, singing, whatever?

Aside from looking for sites which emphasize a particular brand, I would guess that there also may be web-based discussion forums which really are more focused on one or more photographic still-photography genres or styles? For instance, landscape photography or portrait photography.....or in your case, since you mention street photography, there may be a group which is especially interested in discussing that and sharing images. Worth checking around, doing some Googling, anyway!

MR is primarily a technical forum with its main focus on Apple products, of course, but we are fortunate to have this nice Digital Photography subforum here as well, and many members with all kinds of gear and varying skill levels have participated here through the years.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Years ago I had a Flickr account but really didn't use it for anything "serious" and easily let it go when things were changing there anyway. I use Zenfolio for posting images to my personal galleries, having previously used Smugmug for the same purpose. At one time this was the best way to share images on other sites, by "hotlinking." Now that is no longer necessary, as most of us can simply upload right from our computers to whatever site where we want to share images.

Many years ago when I first began using Nikon digital cameras I became a member of that site, and although I no longer use Nikon, I still participate there anyway. I belong to a couple of sites which specifically focus on the brand that I am now using, Sony. I'm sure that there are also discussion sites for those who use Canon as their gear. Lots to learn from sharing and seeing what others share who ar using the same brand as one is.....

With regard to more generalized sites, as Molly mentioned, there is Glass. I'm a member there but not really all that active. Once in a while when I think of it I'll pop in and will have a look around, appreciate someone else's work, maybe toss an image or two of mine into one of the various categories but that is the extent of my participation there.

I do think Glass is on the right track by encouraging interaction among members but not allowing "likes" and that crap. If someone genuinely appreciates someone else's image there is ample opportunity to express their thoughts and start up a conversation between two (or sometimes more) artists, without all that silly "reaction" score junk.

There is also the recently saved-by-the-bell DPR (Digital Preview Review) as a more generalized site, but it really is more of a gear-oriented site as opposed to an image-sharing one per se, although some people do post images there as well. DPR is the place to go when one wants to learn more about a specific brand, a specific model of camera body, a specific lens.....both from reading the reviews provided at the site and the comments and posts from users of the gear who are members of the site.

Instagram? No thanks! I am leery of that site and always have been. As for TikTok, isn't that primarily for participants (mostly younger people) sharing video clips? Films of themselves dancing, putting on makeup, styling hair, acting silly, singing, whatever?

Aside from looking for sites which emphasize a particular brand, I would guess that there also may be web-based discussion forums which really are more focused on one or more photographic still-photography genres or styles? For instance, landscape photography or portrait photography.....or in your case, since you mention street photography, there may be a group which is especially interested in discussing that and sharing images. Worth checking around, doing some Googling, anyway!

MR is primarily a technical forum with its main focus on Apple products, of course, but we are fortunate to have this nice Digital Photography subforum here as well, and many members with all kinds of gear and varying skill levels have participated here through the years.
Wow, many thanks for such a detailed and thorough response.

It means a lot that you took the time to offer advice/guidance. There can be some tricky people/comments here on MacRumors, but there are also some lovely people, such as yourself, who offer valid and kind responses/advice.

I actually quite like "likes" as it (to me) indicates that your image has caught someone's eye. However, there can be a downside to this ... likes for likes, where the producer of a liked image will feel compelled to reciprocate and like one of the other person's images, just because they liked yours. So, I can fully understand you not liking the whole "like" principle.

With regards to Flickr, I do quite like it. Maybe because it was my goto site when I first got into my photography? I have set up a new account, and have joined a few groups (one for iPhone 14 series photographs, and a few street photography groups.) I've posted a few of my images, and have already had positive responses, so at least I know the site is still active!

Anyway, I'll finish off by thanking you once again for your response, and wishing you well.

Thank you.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
There's here, and I also participate over at Cameraderie, which is a forum more about sharing photos and less about the gear (though there is gear talk). It's a very friendly group there as well, with good discussions. It's also privately owned and free (with a paid membership option). You won't have a dedicated page like on Flickr, but you just post on specific topics, as often as you'd like. Like here, you can also just link your content from Flickr when you post, if you so desire.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I used to post on Flickr but lost interest. Mostly because you were constantly being followed in a rather obvious effort to hope you would follow them back. Sorry but that doesn't interest me. Especially when the photos of the participant were mediocre or sometimes non existent!

Then when they added the paid subscription method I just stopped. Found it to be very buggy as well.

So I just post on here. I tend to not spend that much time online these days. Work gives me more screen time than I was looking for as it is.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I use Flicker and find it to be a great community to share and view photos from around the world. I only use the web site and have no experience with the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.